Xs1100 sg----xs1100sf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs1100 sg----xs1100sf

hi all, my old bike, {rest it sole] was a XS1100SF, my new bike is a XS1100SG my brother in law says the sf is faster, i dont agree , your thoughts, what do sg and sf stand for, ; thanks

SF is a 79 Special. SG is an 80 Special. The 79 had more lift and duration on the cams, and a 9.2:1 compression ratio. The 80 had bigger intake valves and a 9:1 compression ratio. The carbs are a little different too. As old as these bikes are it probably comes down to which one was better maintained.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 09-07-2009, 07:56 PM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The break down goes like this:

1978 - xs1100E (only one model that year)
      1979 - xs1100F (Standard), SF (Special)
      1980 - xs1100G (Standard), SG (Special), LG (Midnight Special)
      1981 - xs1100H (Standard), SH (Special), LH (Midnight Special)

There are a few others like the R from Australia, and a some from other countries as well, but these are the basic, most common ones. You can tell which one you have by the serial number if you aren't sure.

It's basically known that the E was the "fastest" of all the models, due to the lack of some restrictions that the EPA (IIRC) put on the engines in later years. All the rest of the models are basically equal in power and speed.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah well I have brother in laws too.I'll leave it at that.I believe that the sg has larger valves but different carbs.I don't think there was much difference in the 1/4 mile times.The fastest was the 1978.It has a different advance curve

Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

The F and G are YEAR designators. The F was a 1979, the G is a 1980. The '79 in it's prime WAS faster than the '80. As the engine gets more miles, the power goes down. The "new" bike probably IS faster than the old one was just before you replaced it.
          The "S" in the model is for "Special", the standard had just the year designation, and the Midnight Special has an "L" in front of the year.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            The break down goes like this:

1978 - xs1100E (only one model that year)
            1979 - xs1100F (Standard), SF (Special)
            1980 - xs1100G (Standard), SG (Special), LG (Midnight Special)
            1981 - xs1100H (Standard), SH (Special), LH (Midnight Special)

There are a few others like the R from Australia, and a some from other countries as well, but these are the basic, most common ones. You can tell which one you have by the serial number if you aren't sure.

It's basically known that the E was the "fastest" of all the models, due to the lack of some restrictions that the EPA (IIRC) put on the engines in later years. All the rest of the models are basically equal in power and speed.
            Hey Catatonicbug,
            I'm glad that you mentioned the R from Australia, as I've asked and been asked and don't quite know and cannot find the info in Australia, I know that there were suposedly only 900 of them made.!! The tacho and speedo are round?, (no fuel gauge, just a light)
            Which category Does the 81 RH come into!!! Standard, Special or Midnight Special)?

Here is a link to a picture of mine.
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...meerr11&page=2

Cheers

Lou 81 RH

Comment

thanks all for the input, if ya get a chance check out my bike i picked up it only has 5100 miles on it , and only paid $1500, have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by beemeerr11 View Post
                Hey Catatonicbug,
                I'm glad that you mentioned the R from Australia, as I've asked and been asked and don't quite know and cannot find the info in Australia, I know that there were suposedly only 900 of them made.!! The tacho and speedo are round?, (no fuel gauge, just a light)
                Which category Does the 81 RH come into!!! Standard, Special or Midnight Special)?

Here is a link to a picture of mine.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...meerr11&page=2

Cheers

Lou 81 RH
                Lou, that looks like it is based on the LH Midnight Special based upon the paint colors of wheels, exhaust, engine and gold trim. I thought those were also the European version as well? Don't know for sure.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The R model is a creature all to itself. It has gold swirly wheels like the LH and XJ (non-gold on the XJ) and handlebars that are a cross between the XS and XJ, with round uppers mounted to adjustable lowers like the XJ. It has a black engine, kinda like the LH, but still a bit different in some of the detailing. The seat is flat like the Standards. The rest of the bike is much like the LG, as it does not have the linked brakes like the LH and XJ. I only know what I know from pictures and a small amount of input from an Aussie owner on this site, but those are the major differences I've seen.
                  Last edited by CatatonicBug; 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X