It's back on but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's back on but...

Rebuilt the carbs and put them back on without the octy. Went to start it and nothing. It looks like gas is flowing but not sure. I did not spend to much more time on it, to hot here in Fla. Is there some kind of vac thing that I am missing without the octy? Also a stupid question, where does the long thinner hose that is on the top part of the engine below the carbs go? I can't remember.

Vacuum, nope, nothing if it has special style of petcocks. Any position but on and you will have fuel flowing, unless you blanked off the PRIME ports. Also remember that the forward port on the petcock is PRIME and the rear one is ON or RESERVE.

As to the hose, well, there are a couple there. The metal one is the main oil tube that feeds the top end oil. It snakes up between the intake boots. Then there is a rubber hose that is your crancase breather that will go up to the top middle of the air box. It is about 1/2" diam IIRC. Then there is one that is about 1/4" or less that is the middle drive vent that oen just snakes up to under the gas tank and sits in a bracket that holds the air box in place. HTH
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Got her running thanks for the petcock advise. Found a new problem though.
      I need one float bowl, one of mine is cracked and leaking fuel and I need a pilot jet plug (I tried to replace the plug with another screw and it cracked the bowl). Anybody out there have any spare parts. Please, please, please.
      It did pur like a kitten when it started.
      Thanks Rich. name your price.

Comment

The pilot jet plug goes into the body of the carb and not the bowl. So did you crack the bowl or the body? The bowls are pretty interchangable, the bodies are not so much, you would need an early model carb body. And which one is also important, they are numbered from left side to right when on the bike.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I am looking for the bowl itself. When I put another plug in the head was larger than orginal and it hit the bowl when installed and tightned. On the diagram of the carburetor it is number 24. pilot jet plug. The body itself is fine.

Comment

If it is just the bowl, then I believe you have alot of options for a replacement. Check the fiche but I would think the XS650 carbs and prbably several others as well that used the mikuni carbs may have bowls that would be the same.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

The 78/79 bowls are different from the 80/81's and are not interchangeable - the brass tube for the enricher circuit is in a slightly different location from 78/79 to 80/81. If you get one for the correct year(s) they will interchange between the different carbs on the rack, unlike the carb bodies themselves. That being said, I've got some in the mancave. Unfortunately they're for the 80/81 style carbs.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If you have the '78/'79 bowl, I DO have a "spare". Send me a PM, and I can USPS small box it to you. I think it's about $9.00 to ship it.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                X