Exhaust Gasket life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Gasket life?

So I made a ridiculous mistake which I am too ashamed to name, but I will be replacing my oil pan shortly and I assume from last time I did this (not my fault) that I have to remove the exhaust to get to it.

Now my question is, I replaced the gaskets in March, do I need to replace them again?

While I am on the point...I have noticed a little oil leaking from two rubber points around the engine, the front nub on the engine and on the side of the cam. Now the front nub has had a small drip for a while but nothing that has caused me worry its just black, and the side of the cam ruber piece just started turning a little sutty around it. Any action needed?

While I have them off, know of anything that will trully take away blueing and or rust?
    thanks
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Exhaust gaskets probably, if you cranked down on the system real tight.
    The front nub (Cam Tensioner?) you can find a plug that will fit in the HELP section of your local Autoparts store. Checker and autozone both have them.
    Blueing... elbow grease and polish or get the sytem flame spayed or Jet coated.
    Good luck.
    Dan
    I have never driven off a curb either.
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Other piece

Any thoughts on the side rubber piece (on the cam cover i believe??)
      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

The rubber valve cover plugs can be re-used. Just put a bead of RTV around them when reinstalling.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The exhaust gaskets can be re-used several times, as long as they're not leaking. Just be sure you seat the headers on them evenly and completely when re-assembling them.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X