Gas flowing out of carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas flowing out of carbs

I have a 81 xs11s. I have 4 into 1 and run pod filters. I have 120 mains.
    I have just put mikes coils on it. It has always run rich and I just got done setting my floats again. Now I have gas flowing ouit of carbs 3 and 4. It even flows out when its not running. The octy is a year old. I am at my wits end with this bike. Thank you in advance for the help

Either stuck floats, debris in the needle/seat, or faulty o rings. The floats can hang up if they drop too far, or on the float bowl gasket. Tapping the bowl(s) with a screwdriver handle might free them up.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

could it be anything in the petcock or octy?

Comment

When the floats are up and the bowls are full, the needle/seat valve should shut off the fuel even if the petcocks are left on/faulty. The octy is just a safety in case you forget to turn off your petcocks. Proper working carbs should not overflow gas EVER.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Just try tapping on the offending bowls with the handle of a ratchet, or small hammer. You can often get the valves to seat this way.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

When doing a startup on dry bowls, I fill them up and shut off the gas until its running.
            The vibration from the engine generally will shake the floats and needles into working properly.

Obviously, this not applicable if you have vacuum operated petcocks*.

*Reason #17: Why I don't like vacuum operated petcocks.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

A couple other things to look at. I had the same issue when I rebuilt my carbs on my SH. The gasket is a bit wider than the flanges, I had to trim my gaskets to match the bowl flanges to keep the floats from hanging up on them. I also had automotive rubber fuel lines. The inner rubber liner chafed on the Tees of the fuel system sending little flakes of rubber into my needle seats and causing them not to shut off fuel flow.

Like Phil stated, your carb float valves will shut off the fuel flow when the bowl is filled no matter what condition your petcocks are in. The octy is just a vacuum operated petcock. So,if fuel is flowing out your carbs or airbox, this is the cause.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will take them apart monday and look at them, thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X