Brake pad replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pad replacing?

Greetings all, I have a 1979 XS1100f (standard). I want to replace both front and rear brake pads. However, I don't understand how to remove the rear caliper. There seems to be something holding it even after I removed the single bolt in the center. Does anyone have knowledge? Thanks, Kevin
    Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
    Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Its the little things

If you look from the back side of the caliper, up close to the top, there is a screw that goes through the back side of the caliper into the hole in the top of the brake pads that holds it on. Get a long phillips head screwdriver and pull that screw out and the caliper will typically come right off.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Excellant! Thank you so much. I found said screw. I knew there had to be something there. Many thanks again...Kevin
      Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
      Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Comment

Glad you got it. Those things are well hidden.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Be careful when you put the caliper back on over the new pads.

If you have removed the small screw from the back side, you need to be sure to get it back in the slot at the top of the pad. You need to push the caliper down enough, to depress a spring at the top of the pads, to get the screw to go back where it belongs. If you do not get it aligned, the screw will only press the top of the pad over, making it bind against the rotor, which will cause overheating very quickly.

I leave that small screw in place when I remove or reinstall the pads. Doing it this way, you need to push the caliper over and rock it top to bottom to press the piston back into its bore. With one last rock over on the top of the caliper, you can rotate it back to get it to disengage from the retaining screw. Reverse all this when reinstalling and you will feel the slot at the top of the appropriate pad engage the retaining screw.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
          X