fuel light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Case

XS11SG with a Standard tank, thermistor sender and hauling a sidecar.
    Yesterday the red light came on at 113 miles after a fill-up. With the thermistor in a Standard tank the red light comes on just as the thing runs out of gas and you gotta switch to reserve anyway.
    I'd prefer that the red light came on BEFORE it ran onto reserve so the thing didn't quit before I'd got the taps switched over, ah well.
    The fill-up a few miles later was 16.3 litres (~4.3 USG) which works out to ~ 27mpg. Same f**king mileage as my 3.8 litre Buick but the rig is far more fun to drive.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I get about 30mpg at the moment, and I get to about 110 miles before the light kicks on. I usually take tiny trips (1.3 mile commute to work), so I often see the light come on when I start it on the side stand. When I stand it upright, the light goes off for a while. The light comes on about 5 miles before I have to switch to reserve, then I start sweating if I don't see a gas station nearby.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I think maybe its the little trips around town that kill me.Maybe 4 miles sometimes if that.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

XJ1100, light comes on around 125, switch to reserve at 140. out-160

Should be improving soon... hoping to increase range by 50 miles per tank.

(We'll see... hopefully not wasted $ and wishful thinking.)
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

OK am going to check my mileage better-Think that i made a mistake.I don't let the tank get empty and the last time maybe used about 2 gallons before i filled it up.So maybe my mileage is off and sometimes i forget to reset the odometer.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Speedo Correction Factor

Until I do fix my thermistor and get the "red eye" to behave, I have to rely on my trip/odometer.

On a recent(?) trip in AZ I did the fill up/check mileage and did the math: came up with 44 Mpg. I did this twice and came up with the same figures. I've never actually hit reserve before stopping to fuel up this way. I always look for the dinosaur juice when I hit 110 on the trip meter.

Yesterday I did a comparison of the speedo readings and a GPS. Found out that at about 60 Mph the speedo is close to 10 mph below what the GPS reads. Doing a little corrective math meant that I get about 37 Mpg instead of 44.

Just to keep things easy I still use the same trip mileage point on the speedo to refuel. But when I look at the map and plan the trips, I count on the real world 37Mpg and tank capacity.

Comment

Working...
              X