Ah crap...I broke my final drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah crap...I broke my final drive!

I mistook the breather for the cap and I think I destroyed it...I am talking about number 34 in the picture below:

It is apparently two parts that are welded together. The outer piece that is round and the inner piece that is cone shaped.

Can I fix this or should I buy a new breather...?

Anyone have an extra one?

Thanks...

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Did that myself

Used silastic to put it back on. little bit on piece that goes into F/D and more between top of breather and flange of F/D housing. Just be careful not to block breather hole

Comment

I used vise grips to get it off. First I used it on the outer part and then on the cone shaped part...I don't know if the any of it survived. I can try to put it back together, and did some research on here before I posted, so I THINK I will be able to get it back together. Thanks for the tip. I may use JB Weld because I have some laying around. If the hole is totally wasted, is there anywhere i can get one REALLY cheap?

-Rick
      1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

D'oh!!

D'oh!!!!!!!!!
        91 kwaka kz1000p
        Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I think i have a brand new one but need money for the part and shipping but it is new.Or you can contact Andreas Weiss.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Another thought is to get a short bolt that fits the hole, drill it through the long axis, then securely insert a small piece of metal tube. You can put a piece of silicone tubing over the metal tube and route it up a few inches, then down to the swingarm where it can be secured with a wire tie. We used this method all the time on late model Moto Guzzi final drives because they didn't have a breather and had a habit of blowing seals when they got hot (we drilled the filler bolt).
            Last edited by Guy_b_g; 09-06-2009, 07:50 AM.
            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Yup, I did the same thing about ten years ago, I have some extra's in the garage if you end up needing one.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
              X