Hating it more today than yesterday...carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hating it more today than yesterday...carbs

OK just got carbs back and reset. Float height was set by DBeardslee. I pput them on and turned te petcocks to prime. Pulled the choke out and gave her a rip. She started right up.

Heres where My confusion sets in. idel moved strong to about 2000-2500 so I kicked the choke in. when I did the idle skyrocketed. With the choke all the way in it rocketed up even more.

I tried to drop the idle but she won't go low enough with the choke in. If you pull the choke back out. the idle steadily drops again.

What happened?

Not even sure where t start on this one.

Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Originally posted by gk45241 View Post
    OK just got carbs back and reset. Float height was set by DBeardslee. I pput them on and turned te petcocks to prime. Pulled the choke out and gave her a rip. She started right up.

Heres where My confusion sets in. idel moved strong to about 2000-2500 so I kicked the choke in. when I did the idle skyrocketed. With the choke all the way in it rocketed up even more.

I tried to drop the idle but she won't go low enough with the choke in. If you pull the choke back out. the idle steadily drops again.

What happened?

Not even sure where t start on this one.
    Did you turn the knob below the carbs to lower the idle? It's the first step in tuning the carbs to get the idle down to a reasonable level. IIRC it's down below the carbs between 2 and 3, and uses a finger turn, not a screwdriver. Just be careful because things get hot down there.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

idle

If I pull the idle adjustment screw the sleeve comes all the way out.. wtf.

I pushed it down and turned the idle down as much as possible. Still idleing around 3-4000 on the low end. Think it is time to try to get it sinked. For a bike that should be running lean (rigged intake with velocity stacks, and large hole in right muffler) it seems to be running heavy rich. Think thats a good place to start for the synch. Now I just need some freebee or cheap slip ons for my 4-2's and it might not sound like a jet engine when I am done.

Gary
      Gary King
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Sleeve? What sleeve? The screw points upward (head hanging down, between the carbs and the engine case) and simply pushes on the throttle cable linkage as you screw it in. When the engine is hot, it's best to use a long flat-blade screwdriver from the side to push on the edge of the head to turn it. You can see the head hanging down in the center of this picture.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

OK if thats the case I am turning the wrong thing. What is the plastic ooking knob between the 3-4 carbs on a 1979 xs11 sf??

Gary
          Gary King
          bobbed with love.

Comment

Originally posted by gk45241 View Post
            OK if thats the case I am turning the wrong thing. What is the plastic ooking knob between the 3-4 carbs on a 1979 xs11 sf??

Gary
            Is it on top of or on the bottom of the carbs? I don't see anything like that on an 80G, but AFAIK the idle adjuster is in pretty much the same place on all of them. It's right below the throttle cable because as Cbug said, it controls how far the throttle cable can release.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The only adjustment "between" any of the other carbs should only be the sync screws. However, there is no "knob" on those. They turn with a screwdriver from the top. I can't imagine what you might be referring to though. A photo might help, if you can get one, or maybe if you can ID it on the schematic?

1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Maybe a no-brainer, but might make double sure the cable end is down into it's little holder thing on the carbs.

But yes, if it started good, then got warmed up and the idle goes up... and you can see that the adjustment screw isn't even touching the carb linkage... you probably need to synch the carbs. You have a couple carbs dragging the rest up.

and on the 78-79 carbs the adjuster screw is at the top.. #49 on that diagram.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

yes

Number 49 is wat I was turning. I ran out and for the life of me could not find what CAT. had posted on my carb set. Counter clockwise to lower the idle correct?
                  Gary
                  Gary King
                  bobbed with love.

Comment

Sorry about that... My bad. The '79 has it's adjuster screw on the upper side, but it's still not between 3 and 4. It's between 2 and 3. Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Tighten to raise the idle, loosen to lower it.

1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak?
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

vac leak

ok after working on te bike today with Doug we gound ta\hat carb one had low vacum pressure. With some sprays of carb cleaner we found te intake boot on carb one had what seemed to be a vac leak . Now I have changes the intake boot on carb one so we can actually try to synch the carbs correctly now. Doug is planning on a trip back by on Monday. I'l let yu all know how it goes.

Gary
                        Gary King
                        bobbed with love.

Comment

Glad your working it through Gary, maybe you can make the next group ride!!
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Little by llttle

I have faith in my license being returned by end of October So I am hoping for a few good rides before the winter freeze comes.(at least legal rides) First step is getting a new job since I am not working so I can afford some new tires.

Good part is Doug said its starting to look like a motorcycle...lol. With his perfectionist attitude I think thats a compliment...Roflmao

One step at a time right. Gotta keep the faith. And if that doesn't work I can paint it pink and sell it on Ebay for 4000///lol

Gary
                            Gary King
                            bobbed with love.

Comment

One step at a time is th eonly way anything gets done. Love to see it when she comes together. It should be a cool looking ride!!
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X