Neutral Light Out? Bulb is Good...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Light Out? Bulb is Good...?

I just lost my neutral light and replaced the bulb with a known good one (Tried it in the other sockets and it lit up).

Where's the neutral switch located on a '78E ? I searched on here and couldn't find and info. How to test? and / or Replace?

Thanks all!
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E

The netural switch is located on the left side of the engine, underneath (pointing at the ground), just inboard from the exhaust collector. There should be a small wire connected to it via a small screw from outside the engine. Beware that if you remove the switch, the oil will drain out of the engine through that hole! There is a good chance that the wire has simply come lose from the switch, as all that switch does it make a contact to ground.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Left side, Look below the front of foot shift lever on the engine case.
      I think it’s a “normally open” switch so that when in neutral the switch is closed and provides a ground for the light. Check/clean the wire connector, if that does not work, then check continuity with a multi-meter. Shifter in neutral position should have continuity between switch post and engine case, no continuity when in gear. If that’s not the problem then may have a break in the wire somewhere or possible problem on the other end not getting power.

mro

Comment

Great! Thanks. I knew you guys would come thru....

I looked in my Clymers, but it only showed on the wiring, but not the exact position.

I Will check tonight!
        Dave
        1978 XS1100E

Comment

Found it!!

Check the connections, removed, cleaned, etc....Touched the wire connector to the frame (Ground) and the Light came on! Wiring and bulb are good!

Must be the switch.
          Dave
          1978 XS1100E

Comment

Try removing the switch (all the engine oil will drain out through the hole) and cleaning it. There's not much to that switch, and it may just need to be cleaned. Worth a shot before paying and waiting for a replacement.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
            X