I finally got another XS-11 again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got another XS-11 again!!!

Well I finally found a 1980 XS-11 STD and it runs good, But of course I will need a tank and seat because the seat frame is rusty! The bike runs good down the road but the clutch is on its last leg! I use to own a 1978 Yamaha xs-1100E if some of you remember that gave me alot of problems and I later sold it,, But soon after I started dreading my sale of the bike! When I drove home on it today it gave me flashbacks of being 18yrs old again "Im 39yrs old now" My Hayabusa is a blast for speed but there is nothing like just cruising on the old XS!
    I think I will try to find a shop to replace my clutch since I have never done one before! I wanted to let you all know I appreciate all the help with suggestions on my problems I was having with the 78 model. You guys are great!
    Here is what it looks like when I bought it, But I will be changing this look!

1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1979 Yamaha XS-1100 Special
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1984 Honda V-65 Magna
    1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
    1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
    1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    2003 Suzuki Katana 750
    2006 SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300R

Congrats on getting the new ride!!! Yep, with every ride I like this bike more and more.

As to the clutch, it is really pretty simple to deal with. You definitely should own a torque wrench in my opinion though. Just this weekend we were installing camshafts and I was surprised at how little force it took to reach the required torque.

For the clutch, you do not even need to drain the oil, do it on the side stand. The oil runs out of the cover and you can pull it. Then look at the tech tip on the dremel repair for 2nd gear. It has great pics and descriptions of a number of areas and repairs as part fo getting down to repairing the gears. The clutch and its removal and installation are covered.

Welcome to XS11, or back as the case may be!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Yup... clutch is simple. AND, you may just need to adjust it. If not, just a good set of heavy duty springs to throw in there is @ $16. If you can hold off for a month and come to the rally we're having in Talhina, OK, we can get the job done in just a few minutes in the parking lot.

Here's the link to that in the rallies section...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23700

And welcome back!

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I dont know about trying to replace the clutch myself, I would probably screw it up! I cant wait to get this fixed.
        1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
        1979 Yamaha XS-1100 Special
        1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
        1984 Honda V-65 Magna
        1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
        1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
        1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
        2003 Suzuki Katana 750
        2006 SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300R

Comment

clutches...

If i can do it.... so can you!!

but i forget what the torque wrench was for i didn't have one...

so i just tightened everything up (reasonably) remember your working with aluminum.

i have a 7-800 miles on the new clutch and all seems well...

i did my S1 clutch the same way and that has several thousand miles on it.

a torque wrench may not be as important if you are careful when tightening things up.

But.... i've been wrong before. so if i'm in error, someone please chime in and say so...
          1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
          1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Well, I did work for years on cages without ever owning a torque wrench successfully. I just remembered about how hard I had to pull to get it loose and put it back the same.

But with steel and aluminum it gets much tougher. They seem to galvanize together making loosening kinda tough compared to tightening to 7 or 7-1/2 ft-lbs. I have tightened a few bolts including cam bolts, and valve cover bolts recently thinking I was just pretensioning for the final torque only to find the torque wrench indicating I was done or over torqued. Aluminum can strip out pretty easy by comparison to the steel so I use my torque wrenches on the bike almost religously.

But truly, the clutch is not very difficult at all. I had mine out, measured, and re-installed in less than 4 hours and that includes time to go search for new springs and get them ordered, as well as go though how the clutch works with my daughter. If you have any plans to do your own work on the bike, this is an easy ice breaker to perform.
            Last edited by DGXSER; 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              If you have any plans to do your own work on the bike, this is an easy ice breaker to perform.
              I agree! I used the 2nd gear fix as my first real bike work, and it turned out to be a lot less difficult than it seemed. The clutch is just a tiny part of that process. If the clutch is all you're doing, there's not a lot you can mess up, as long as you are careful when tightening down the "star" plate.

The torque wrench is for tightening the center nut on the clutch as it gets torqued to 51 ft/lbs. If you use an impact, that should work too, then just be sure to bend the retaining washer up around the nut.

Follow the tech tips and the manuals, and you'll save a TON of money and feel a lot better about it when you're done!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
              X