Another Carb Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Carb Question?

I have a 79F with kerker 4-1, Individual air pods, and dyna coils. I'm having a problem with my Idle, without the gas tank on I've been running the engine(with a fan on) It seems to be running way too rich (Black smoke). I have my floats set at 26mm, stock jets (for now), metering rod set 1 notch down I've set the mixture screws at 1 and 1/2 turns and had them all the way down to 1/8 . I just went through these carbs very thouroughly with K&L kits and installed VX920 viton needle and seats the carbs are not leaking fuel. Also when remove the gas can and let it run out of gas the idle picks up and the engine picks up smoothes out and the black smoke is gone. Wheere is the fuel coming from should I lower my floats. I have a lot of money invested in this bike but with all the headaches this bike has given me lately I thought about just fixing it with a match!

Well, assuming you have the 79 version of the carbs, the stock float setting was 25.7 with the gasket off from the gasket surface. If it runs better when it starts running out of fuel, I would definitely try raising the floats (lowering the fuel level).

Have you confirmed what year the carbs are? Do they have the plug over the pilot jet opening? Could also be the newer carbs that you overjetted the mains thinking they were the older ones. But then, the newer carbs had a lower float level (meaning a higher fuel level in the bowl). So you should be starvign them with that float level.

Guess I confused myself more than cleared up your problem.
    Last edited by DGXSER; 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

What's your jetting? The '79 carbs have a range of adjustment from 24.5mm to 26.5mm on the float height, so at 26 you'd be slightly towards the lean side. K&L kits are a new one on me. Using other than Mikuni jets can cause unpredictable results. A mikuni #147.5 isn't necessarily the same as another manufacturer's 147.5.
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I just went out and checked the old jets the former owner had 180's in the mains? Could there be a reason for this big bore kit or something? I noticed when I adjusted the valves that It had a new cam chain in it so I figure it had some work done to it at some point. I also cheked the valve lift on the cams and they are stock lift. I've went through carbs on other bikes many times but this one has me confused. I checked the carbs too and from what I know about them they are correct for the bike, It has adjustable Idle scews not the recessed and the pilot jets are covered with screws I didn't see any passageways when I had them apart. It seems like It's drawing fuel from somewere other than the pilot system.

Comment

Did you take the emulsion tubes out and clean them? Did you clean the air jets to them also? What are the #'s on the pilots and mains of the K&L's.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Your mains should be 137.5's.Maybe a little bigger for your configuration.
            Some times the kits come with the wrong size jets.You have to check each one before installing.
            The last kit I ordered,I think they were K&L brand,I got 130 mains.I had the right jets already in the carbs,so I just didnt use the K&L ones.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey RJF,

As has been mentioned, sometimes places will sell you the wrong kit or K&L will have the wrong type pilot jets in the kits(see MikesXS.net for pictures showing difference of VM vs.BS pilot jets)...this has been known to happen MANY times with MANY previous members. IF you have the OEM pilot jets, and they are not damaged, CLEAN them well, ensure that the small side ports are clear, and put them back in the carbs.

Other things to check, that you have the fuel lines connected to the LOWER T fittings only, the upper ones are bowl vents. The upper ones NEED to be properly vented....not capped off.

Next, what brand/style of Indy pod filters? The Emgo brands have a prominent lip on the inside mounting edge that can block the air flow thru the ports in the inlet bell, and again cause overly rich running. A search for Indy Pod filters, along with a look in the tech tips for velocity stacks mods and such.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Your mains should be 137.5's.
                That's the stock jetting on '79 carbs. With his mods (4/1 and pods) he should be 4 jet sizes bigger on the mains, and 1 size bigger on the pilots according to the jetting recommendations. He's got basically the same setup I do, and I'm running 147.5's mains and 45 pilots and it's on the money - confirmed by colortune and my right wrist .
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                X