No announcement yet.

Middle Gear Oil Filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would use the anti-seize compund on any dissimilar metal. Just to keep them from galling. For that matter, any similar metal too.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Free at last!

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Hammer and a cold chisel. Tap a groove in the side of the plug and spin it counter-clockwise. Works every time.
      The middle drive plug on my Special had been stuck fast for the last five years- I tried the impact driver thing- the high heat extraction technique- and a host of other methods- nothing worked. I then did as the XS 11 sage-bikerphil- recommended- and lo and behold she broke loose. Thanks a bunch and a tip of the hat to you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
        The middle drive plug on my Special had been stuck fast for the last five years
        Are you saying you haven't changed the middle gear oil in FIVE YEARS!!?? That poor bike!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

a trick i have used many times on other stuck items involves a torch and an icecube. heat the plug (make sure no flamables are near!!!) slowly heat the plug and surrounding area up, then hold an icecube on the plug for a while. then quickly grab your allen wrench and remove...its worked for me!!!
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Try taking a longer wrench and hit it with a rubber mallet...That worked for me. It was solid and I tried everything else.

-Rick
            1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Mine were all stripped out back in the day, so I cut a groove in the bolt with a hack saw and did the cold chisel technique. I was able to find a couple of replacement oil drain plugs at the local auto parts store (their generic universal parts section) that had the right thread and a plastic gasket to keep them from locking up. They are a flat cap with a hex bolt head in the center, so a common socket can grip it. I had to put the screw part in a drill and grind away a little of the cap's lip to get it to fit in the hollowed out space on the rear drive, but they're still going strong eleven years later.

Hmmmm...maybe I should change out the oil in there...
              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Are you saying you haven't changed the middle gear oil in FIVE YEARS!!?? That poor bike!
                I won't dwell on the technical difficulities involved but I changed and refilled the middle drive unit using the drain plug on the underside of the engine. Lets just say that its one heck of alot easier now that the fill plug is free. Thanks again- bikerphil!

Comment

Yep, glad it worked out for you.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                  X