No announcement yet.

CLutch springs and disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't taking it personally, but I have never seen a multi disk clutch with wear like this. It's really odd.

The steels were really rusty, but otherwise ok. The clutch was slipping for me, and the PO said he had clutch problems before.

I would suspect, that although you're correct that they all have to spin together, they don't have to spin together with the same pressure.

On the G The PO (or the PO's shop) had put springs in that were about 1/8" too short, then put what looks like the cut off ends of another set of springs to make up for the shortage. Looked like lock washers made from springs about 1/8" thick.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

They all have the same pressure when installed, no way some can have more or less pressure than others. With the variation you have with the frictions I would replace them all. I went through a lot of screwing around with new springs and extra steel and still had slipping until I replaced the frictions. No problems since. Frictions from P&M $40. WORTH IT. Think about how old your frictions are.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
        although you're correct that they all have to spin together, they don't have to spin together with the same pressure.
        Yep, that is what I would suspect happened as in a warped steel or the friction disc binding up on the basket kept the surrounding frictions in contact and wearing but not enough friction to turn the tranny with brakes on or even against the weight. Kinda like when you first let the clutch out.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

When my clutch started slipping like you described I put a new set of heavy duty springs in and it make all the difference. I didn't have the funds at the time to replace any of the plates (although some of them looked like they could use it) so I hit each plate lightly with my random orbital sander loaded with a medium grit paper (read: i forget) which cleaned them up nicely without taking off any significant amount of thickness, but left a nice hatch pattern on the surface. After that I could still get some slip out of it if I got on the throttles hard enough Just a few weeks ago I put new Kevlar impregnated friction plates in and it's even better now.

I hope your operation is a success.
          I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
          3J6 003509
          Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
          Fuse Block Upgrade
          Mike's XS Green Coils
          Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Working...
          X