CLutch springs and disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLutch springs and disc

Well it seems I have ridden the clutch disc on my bike into submission. The 750FD seems to have brought it to the point of necessity to replace some parts.

I am getting that tell-tale sign of hitting the throttle at 4500-5500 or above RPM in 5th and it jumps to 6-7k with no increas in speed. Then grabs and takes off ok, but it slips when torque is applied still. Yeah, I should have put in new springs when I fixed 2nd gear. But I did not.

Anyway, I have looked at PNM but they no longer carry the springs, they list them but out of stock for months now. I looked at BB and they are living up to their name in my opinion. My wallet went .

Sooo, remembering that I am almost as cheap as Tod, my current thought is to buy the PNM friction disc and go to my local yamarobbers who quoted me $10 for stock springs they had in stock.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

cheapcycleparts.com
    EBC CSK Standard Clutch Spring Set

Retail Price: $9.95
    Your Price: $8.46

That's a LITTLE cheaper, and they still have FREE SHIPPING until midnight tonight, coupon code: AugFreeGround

I just took advantage of the free shipping deal and ordered a couple of small things that otherwise wouldn't have been worth it b/c of the shipping cost.
    Last edited by jmyers40; 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: afterthought
    79 XS1100 Special - slowing breathing life back into it...

Comment

I will admit to being cheap, but I also realize there's little difference in $8 for "Standard" springs, and a good solid heavy duty set for $16. Most bike shops won't be any higher than that and you keep the money local.

I doubt any of your friction plates or discs are out of spec. Out of all the motors I've had apart, I've never seen one. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a lot less frequesnt than you'd think.

My other cheap azz suggestion would be to throw an extra steel plate in there while you're at it. It makes the clutch handle pull firmer than some like, but it won't slip when you let it out.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

MikesXS springs for the 650 are the same as for the XS11. I got a set of them when I was getting parts to help Bigge_Al fix his XJ. His frictions were also within spec, but he had a few steels that were glazed/burned, and scrubbed them with some fine Emory cloth. We didn't have a spare steel plate to put in the pack. They are like $8.00 at BB. But most folks do find that new springs solve most slipping problems.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the link JMeyers!

Tod, yeah, I to have no problem paying for improved performance. I just hate filling pockets of the greedy if I can avoid it, unless they are mine. I will try my local shops for the HD springs.

TC, thanks for the suggestion on cleaning the steels. I will give that as shot. It's easy enough to get back into there, so I don't mind multiple trips if it does not work.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Ive used washers ( crushed spring washers worked well)
            under the springs with good sucess,
            the hand lever is slightly stiffer than the extra steel plate tho,
            but its cheap.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              MikesXS springs for the 650 are the same as for the XS11.
              Good to know.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              But most folks do find that new springs solve most slipping problems.
              Also very good to know. I get some slipping when I goose the throttle and was gonna have to save up a bit for the $$ to refresh all the clutch internals. I assumed you had to replace it all. I'll try just the springs first!

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Thanks for the link JMeyers!
                No problem. I'm a bargain shopper myself. The local shop here isn't bad price wise, but it's a two man shop and they sometimes drag their feet on getting orders in - he even forgot altogether once or twice. So I end up ordering a lot of the web.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                  Ive used washers ( crushed spring washers worked well)
                  under the springs with good sucess,
                  the hand lever is slightly stiffer than the extra steel plate tho,
                  but its cheap.
                  I have used washers with great success as well, when replacing the springs just wasn't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by danteinien View Post
                    I have used washers with great success as well, when replacing the springs just wasn't enough.
                    I made some spring shims from tubing. I made them about .200" thick, and seemed to work well for a good long while, but I think age has got the best of the springs. I ordered a set of the $8 ones, with free shipping too.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Well, I tried just adjusting the clutch and thought it was fixed, but nope, still slipping. Went to a local parts place and a guy there insisted I had a warped clutch steel from someone "hotrodding" the bike. So, today I pulled the clutch out and took the measurements. Clutch friction plates all at 2.90 or greater measured in three places most over 2.95. Clutch steels, all sat flat on the glass with one haivng a slight warpage, .002" feeler will slide under but .003" won't which is within the spec of .0039". Soo....springs....all 6 at 40.35mm or less. So, new springs it is.

And yes Tod, even I am willing to buy the HD springs for an extra $8. And after spending less than $20 on clutch parts, I can spend the rest of the $100 I told SWMBO it would cost on frivalous parts like SS brake lines!! I do want to do that mod, but having trouble deciding who has them for the least price. Analysis Paralysis in action again.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Just did mine yesterday.

I put the new EBC springs in and an extra steel plate.

I checked all my friction plates, smallest was 2.85, but since I had a spare clutch laying around, I checked it too. It's the clutch I took out of the SG when I put the HD clutch I got from Andreas in.

It had plates from 2.95 to 2.35!

All the thin plates were together, and the thich ones together, so I assume that the clutch got stuck together at some point and it was only slipping on the 3 thin plates! The steels were very rusty on this one too.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                          All the thin plates were together, and the thich ones together, so I assume that the clutch got stuck together at some point and it was only slipping on the 3 thin plates! The steels were very rusty on this one too.

Hey Craz,

Sorry, but your thesis is flawed, because the steels spin with the central clutch hub, and the frictions with the basket. There's no way for just some of the plates to not spin, it's all or nothing, like the clutch pak getting totally stuck so that none of them spin, otherwise, they all spin. Now it could have been either irregular bathing of oil, or the tangs on the frictions hanging on burrs on the clutch housing making them create more friction when you are wanting them to slip, something like that??
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Then you explain it.
                            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Cnuk, don't take TCs comment personally.

He is correct though, the clutch friction disk have the tangs that actually get driven with the clutch basket from the primary,the friction against the steels lets the steels turn the internal "basket" that turns the main transmission shaft. I may have some internal engine components misnamed here, but I just yesterday used the bike to explain to my daughter how a clutch works so that is fresh in my mind.

Sounds like maybe some of your steels were warped? either that or they did bind on the baskets and the steels and friction plates did not slide apart enough to not wear when at a stop where they should have been spaced and not creating friction against each other if that makes sense. Seems like that would cause low idle though.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X