wanting to join the club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to join the club

Hey guys! Ive been recently offered a 79 xs1100 in trade for my old 86 mazda pickup with 140000 miles. The bike has been sitting for 10 years started every once in a while. only 5000 original miles, but the last time the guy started it was last year and the bike smoked and fouled out the plug. He seems to think that the valve seal is old and cracked from sitting for so long. The problem only started after the bike was parked on not driven. I was wondering what you guys thought it could be and if this is a good deal. As far as the shape of the bike it is mint, garage kept. I really love this bike and want one i just dont want to get upside down in it. Just let me know your thoughts. thanks

What are you waiting for? Go for it!
    1981 XS1100

Comment

One you get in, you can't go back. I just, as in 12 minutes ago, got home from picking up my 2nd SF and I can't wait to get to work on her too. I don't think you can pass it up. C'mon... a damn near shot truck (I don't believe older foreign cars and trucks had much quality) vs. a thundering XS. Sure a little work may need to take place, but think of the satisfaction! The fun, the open road, the freedom vs. the cage... Descision's easy in my book
      Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
      '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
      '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
      '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
      New steering head races and bearings
      '78/'79 standard wire harness
      Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
      T.C.'s fuse block
      PNM Coils
      7mm Dyna Wires
      NGK Resistor Caps
      Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Im good with tools but i dont know much about bikes. What problems would a bike thats been sitting have and would they be easy fixes with a manual

Comment

I find that my 79Sf smokes like it was running on pure oil every spring. It has usually been parked for over 4 months. It always slows down after a couple of miles and it quits after 50 or 60 miles. Then there is no smoke just pure enjoyment as she rockets thru the countryside. I would be all over a bike with 5000 original miles.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Neglected XS link.....

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/16-what-to-...ed-xs1100.html
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Welcome....

Originally posted by midnightshine View Post
              Im good with tools but i dont know much about bikes. What problems would a bike thats been sitting have and would they be easy fixes with a manual
              to the most informative,confidence boosting,problem solving,diversified,Fellowship of Men & Women that unselfishly donates Thier time, wisdom and humor dedicated to the best all around motorcycle ever made."Here" is your manual.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Well,I dont' know what a 1986 mazda is worth,but I know the XS is a way better machine.
                In my opinion you dont have a choice.Especially if the bike is in as good of shape as you say.
                I havent personally paid more than $400 for an XS.And I have bought a few.
                But they all needed a little work at first.And werent pristine to start.
                An XS can sell from $200 - $4000.
                You could part one out for some good coin if you had to(cringe).And make more than that old truck is worth.
                Well I hope I don't sound biased.lol
                I hope you make a wise decision.
                Rick
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Nice find

I've resurrected a few low milage XSes. Not unusual for them to smoke for a little while after sitting for a long time. I've been lucky? that they did not have any valve guide issues. Not counting cosmetics, spent a few days going through them completely and they have been running ever since.

I'd offer him a c note or two before giving up my truck

mro
                  PS, I squirt a shot of oil through the plug holes on engines that have been sitting for XStended periods of time, then turn em over without starting first. That little bit of oil will burn off right away. On old bikes that start to smoke after they warm up it is generally just stuff that has accumulated in the exhaust and will go away.

Comment

Welcome ot the madness!!

When I purcgased my 11 in Novmeber of last year, I had never dug very deep into a MC either. I have every part fo an auto drive train apart and back together but not a bike. Trust me, these bikes are MUCH easier!!

As to a manual. Well, there is a member named Catatonic Bug that host the manuals on his personal website, the link is in his signature. Also, look through the tech tips, they cover alot of details the manuals don't AND correct some details the manuals got wrong or went the long around on. So read those BEFORE you dig into the machine.

As to the deal, well, we have no knowledge of the condition of either machine. Some of the older jap trucks are just getting started at 140,000 if well taken care of. Same can be said for an XS. Read the thread Bikerphil posted about neglected bikes. Compare to what you own and decide.

As stated, these are really some very fun bikes. ALOT of power, and plenty of good lucks and fairly comfortable for long hauls.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Midnightshine...Welcome to CH.11! I would jump at the chance to get a low mileage XS myself. If you were to fill in your profile and list your location then perhaps you could recruit some fellow XSives to help you sort through the bike. Believe me when I say that people will come and help you. I owe so much to this site and those people that have come and helped me. Best of luck with it.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey guys! Ive been recently offered a 79 xs1100 in trade for my old 86 mazda pickup with 140000 miles. The bike has been sitting for 10 years started every once in a while. only 5000 original miles, but the last time the guy started it was last year and the bike smoked and fouled out the plug. He seems to think that the valve seal is old and cracked from sitting for so long. The problem only started after the bike was parked on not driven. I was wondering what you guys thought it could be and if this is a good deal. As far as the shape of the bike it is mint, garage kept. I really love this bike and want one i just dont want to get upside down in it. Just let me know your thoughts. thanks
                        Hi Midnight and welcome,
                        beware those list members who will tell you it's a bad bargain and then ask you where it's at.
                        Go for it real quick before the owner comes to his senses.
                        An XS11 is not usually considered a beginner's bike. If you are new to motorcycles, take a rider's course before you try the machine on the road.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

That sounds good man, take advantage of that offer if you haven't already!
                          1980 XS1100SG
                          In the process of making her look pretty!
                          P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

dont to do it

its a terrible habit with no cure , before you know you will have to have more than one and then you get dirty looks from the old lady. Not to mention the dirty mitts and polluting the atmosphere with a plethora of expletives !!
                            Last edited by GARTHXS; 08-30-2009, 11:40 PM. Reason: BTW where is this bike located:)
                            91 kwaka kz1000p
                            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post
                              its a terrible habit with no cure , before you know you will have to have more than one and then you get dirty looks from the old lady. Not to mention the dirty mitts and polluting the atmosphere with a plethora of expletives !!
                              Does "WOOOOHOOOOO!!!" count as an expletive?

Definitely a good deal, unless you are seriously attached to the old mazda. For these bikes, the value is not really in the money, but the emotions that go along with the machines. These were THE musclebikes of the day, and can still keep up with the best of today's modern bikes. They will cream any Hardley out there, and are a LOT easier to work on. If you can wrench cars, then the XS will be a piece of cake. Do some reading in the Tech Tips on this site, read the manual, ask lots of questions here, and take an MSF course, and you'll be fine.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X