Recipe for disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe for disaster?

I don't use teflon tape to seal any fuel fittings. Not for gasoline or diesel. Instead I use "Aviation Form-A-Gasket" which is a brown "tar-like" sealer which can only be cleaned up or removed with alcohol.

Some owners may use teflon tape for this application. SOooooo....

Here's the set-up:

Regular white teflon tape bought at N*PA.
    Yellow "Gas Line Thread Seal Tape" bought at A*E Hardware plumbing section.
    Unleaded Gas.
    Fuel Injector Cleaner. (With apologies to the Sea-Foam Supporters..)

Add ingredients in glass jar and wait....30 days!!

Til the time is up there's nothing to do but speculate on what's going to happen (if anything at all...).

Any Predictions?
    White Teflon RULES!!
    69.23%
    Yel-low! Yel-low! Yel-low!
    0.00%
    Wouldn't trust Either of 'em
    7.69%
    Who cares anyway? Get....A...LIFE!!!
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

Did you seal the lid with form-a-gasket?

My vote is not much will happen.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

hylomar to seal everything
      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
        I don't use teflon tape to seal any fuel fittings. Not for gasoline or diesel. Instead I use "Aviation Form-A-Gasket" which is a brown "tar-like" sealer which can only be cleaned up or removed with alcohol.
        Hey Larry,

With the Ethanol laced fuel we have now, is your Avaiation Form a gasket stuff any better since Alcohol can break it down??

I use Teflon Tape for OIL fittings, but haven't tried or needed it for fuel fittings!
        T.C.

PS, it was a little difficult to find it, but the specs on Teflon from Dupont says that it's virtually INNERT to most chemicals and solvents! So...I predict that the tape will not be dissolved in 30 days!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Double Bind

TC,

Yeah...with "oxygenated" fuel, MTBE additives, "Nitogenated" fuel, ethanol, sea-foam, etc it's a wonder we don't have to use pre-formed solid steel fuel lines. Just what can be used where one fitting connects to the next?

No Fair using your contacts at NASA or doing real, genuine research like finding the specifications!

I'd hate to go up against you in a "guess the number of jelly beans in the jar" contest.

Comment

I used to work on Chlorine generating systems and all of the fittings were teflon along with the tubing that moved the gas. Those things never showed degradation.
            I used teflon tape on the fittings.

Teflon tape acts like string cheese in that its weakness runs its length.(along the tape). Anyone who has used much of it knows that. It will separate along its length but is tough across the grain.

My vote is nothing much will happen.
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Oil Industry

We use teflon tape everyday in the oil and gas industry. Refined or raw, no problems.
              78 XS1100E Standard
              Coca Cola Red
              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Controlled Environment?

Would You yeild more accurate results by separating the two materials being tested?
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                  TC,

No Fair using your contacts at NASA or doing real, genuine research like finding the specifications!

I'd hate to go up against you in a "guess the number of jelly beans in the jar" contest.
                  Hey Larry,

I'm really not that smart! I am close to the Langley Research center though!

I just was thinking that if they can use it to line SWMBO's frying pans and such, then it's fairly tuff stuff, and safe for eating from, so it can't react with much or they wouldn't let them put it on there.

The other interesting info about it was that it was to only be used for tapered pipe fittings, because it acts like a lubricant to help the tapered parts slide past each other until they make a tighter interference fit. For regular parallel pipe fittings it's really not any good, the flared ends of the parallel fittings is what makes the seals there. Just an FYI.

And there's no difference in the Yellow type, it's just color coded for applications like Natural Gas fittings vs. water, etc.!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I don't understand using anything with fuel fittings. A clamp on a rubber line should be sufficient. Enough so.. that NO clamp on a rubber line is usually sufficent.

Seems to me, that if you try to put teflon tape (Or ANY tape) on a brass nipple, then push your line onto the nipple, you'll just push the tape up and bunch it up at the top. Also.. just one more available piece of something to dislodge and get caught in your float valve, or stop up the little filter in front of it.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I used teflon tape on many fuel fittings without any isssues, if you put it on correctly. The tape should not be on the first couple of threads as it can string and get in your fuel system. I actually put NPT plugs ( With teflon tape)in place of the rubber caps to seal up the fuel rails opposite the fuel tee's on my XS. They are chrome too so it looks cool!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        I don't understand using anything with fuel fittings. A clamp on a rubber line should be sufficient. Enough so.. that NO clamp on a rubber line is usually sufficent.

Seems to me, that if you try to put teflon tape (Or ANY tape) on a brass nipple, then push your line onto the nipple, you'll just push the tape up and bunch it up at the top. Also.. just one more available piece of something to dislodge and get caught in your float valve, or stop up the little filter in front of it.

Tod
                        No dude. He's talking about banjo fittings.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ohhhh... All those banjo fuel fittings we have on the bikes. Sorry, wasn't thinking of all of those...

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Deliverance.

Twangitty.

Twang Twang.

Comment

Teflon tape is only for pipe fitting thread (NPT).

Fuel fittings are usually not npt, and use other methods to seal.
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X