Stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question

I am cleaning electrical connectors on my 11, all seem in good shape except spark plug caps. My question is, why does everybody use dielectric grease that does not conduct electricity instead of conductive grease which does. Both will prevent corrosion, and it seems that conductive grease would improve a marginal connector. Yes, I know you should just replace it but this is hypothetical.
    Doug
    81 LH

Probably because conductive grease will direct a short right through it if it gets wet or dirty
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

took the words right out of my mouth.

When the ignition wires get old... Moisture in the air... That spark goes right to ground. Even if its before the spark plug.

Electricity flows like water. It takes the path of least resistance. People do the same thing IMO.
      Getty

1980 SG

Comment

If you have a marginal connector, take some small needle nose and squeeze it back together a bit.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Check out the tools and cheese wiz thread by Geezer more info than you can imagine on this subject. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24062

Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Blackdog:

My understanding of dielectric grease is that you use it for connections on the outside. That is you clean the connection and put the dielectric on the outside metal to prevent the connector from corroding and allowing moisture to the inside. The conductive grease like NO-OX is used on the outside and connections of batteries, bus bars and the like to aid in the conduction of electricity, while protecting the metal from moisture and corrosion. I use the NO-OX on my battery connections and have never had a problem with oxidation of the ground connection. The NO-OX and like have a liberal mixture of copper and petroleum jelly. In short, they both have their places, but use them wisely.

Comment

Anytime you break an electrical circuit the electrical current wants to jump across the gap, this causes it to take a small amount of the contact material with it, if you have ever looked at the inside of a used distributor cap, you will know what I mean. Dielectric grease will prevent this from happening, therefore making the switch last longer,as well as work smoother, it also works well on pin type connectors by reducing corrosion build up. An easy way to clean pin plugs is to spray them with battery cleaner, let them set for a couple of minutes then flush with electronic cleaner.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
              X