xs1100 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving forward

Ok. So you trusted your own work on the carbs and are now looking elsewhere? Good!! (So easy to get stuck in that "Gotta be d'em carbs" like a moth beating its head against a light bulb...)

TCI Problems? Too bad there's not a spare to swap that out with and know for sure you found your skunk.

You can test each coil individually with an ohm-meter on the primary and secondary sides. Got a manual handy? That gives you an idea of what the measurements are s'posed to be and how to go about checking which wires. But then again one method I use is to pull the spark plug wires off, install another set of plugs in the ends of the wires, make sure that the plugs are settled against the head, and try to start the bike. If one set fails to spark then keep the spark plugs in there and swap the wires going to the primaries of those "new" coils. If the problem transfers with the wire swap then it indicates the problem isn't your coils. Likely that your TCI is misbehaving.

There's a nifty test for checking your TCI in the tech tip section:

http://xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-tips/...misfiring.html

There's another TCI test procedure here somewhere on the site which even has a video of a TCI unit being tested. I just keep forgetting just where it is and then have to hunt for it for DAYS.

Sorry 'bout that...

Comment

carbs

ok all i will check all of that tomorrow, one other question see as i am removing the carbs again what problems will i run into if i put pod filtersinstead of the stock airbox? ihave the pod filters and the crankcase breather in the garage, figure it will make removing and installing the carbs that much easier..
      1982 xj1100
      1983 xj550

Comment

Pod filters might make the main jet size need to go up one or two steps, not much else will change.

Also, if you are misfiring on 1 and 4, then it is probably ignition related. Did you put anti seize on the sparkplug threads? If you don't, some times the plugs won't ground and cause a miss. Also check the plug caps, sometimes they get corroded and cause problems. A common fix is to cut a quarter inch or so off the end and screw the cap back on.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

This may be the test procedure that Larrym was talking about.

http://home.ptd.net/~theragos/tci%20faq's.htm

It is from Randy's pages on his site.

I have a 81MNS with a 79 motor in it and it would not run right with the newer TCI. I swapped it out for an earlier 2H7 unit and the bike ran great. The one thing that makes me wonder a bit is that it was running fine with the synch setup on it. You did not overlook something simple like putting the caps back on the carb boots properly or something like that?
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Til Tuesday

Right! That's the one with the video! Thanks Rasputin!

Now I know where it is.

Until the next time I need it...

Comment

tci

thats all great guys, just for one little problem, the electrics on this bike are xj the only xs stuff is the bare engine and carbs, everything else is xj, any info on those?
              1982 xj1100
              1983 xj550

Comment

From what I know of the TCI units, the 79 has a vacuum advance system in the motor. The newer TCI's did the advance electronically. The 79 requires the 2H7 TCI to run. I do not know how a 2H7 will mate up to a XJ electrical system.
                I believe I have heard that some people change the vacuum advance portion of the ignition out and put in the newer one but again I have no experience with that.
                Someone on this forum will know more and be along soon enough to help out I am sure.
                2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

One other thing that comes to mind is something I once did. When I rebuilt my carbs I did not get one of the jets secured in place tight enough. After it ran a while it started to do similar things to what you are experiencing. When I removed my carbs for further inspection I found one of the Jets had come unscrewed and had dropped down thus making it inoperable. JAT
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

carb issue resolved

hey all
                    i think i have my carb issue resolved, can anyone tell me what is wrong in the following pics?lol
                    /img http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/...a8f1e916_b.jpg //img
                    /img http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/...0868e12e_b.jpg //img

just goes to show, when you think you have done everything correct there is always a chance that you did something wrong..notice in the first pic there is no jet in the threaded hole, and in the second pic the idle circut has a jet where there is supposed to be a cap screwed in. also when i pulled the carbs off i wanted to guage the amount of fuel in the bowls so i used a float bowl from the xj carbs, 1 2 and 3 were good, #4 was empty, now where to look for that... well, when i rebuilt the carbs i painted the outside with cast coat paint, and taped all orifices, i forgot to pull the tape off of the fuel inlet for number 4 carb, and when i inserted the tube i drove it in making a perfect seal..lol needless to say i will never make that mistake again..
                    Last edited by mav2; 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM.
                    1982 xj1100
                    1983 xj550

Comment

Latin

Hmmm. Looks like you've got a case of "Jeticus Switchedimus"

Being able to troubleshoot the bike: $75 per hour
                      Being able to troubleshoot yourself: Priceless.

May you and the bike go far in life!!

Comment

Ok. I have a question or two here.
                        First what made you look into the carbs again? I thought we were all convinced the carbs were not the issue.
                        "After the vacuum synch everything seemed fine". How does that work with "well, when i rebuilt the carbs i painted the outside with cast coat paint, and taped all orifices, i forgot to pull the tape off of the fuel inlet for number 4 carb, and when i inserted the tube i drove it in making a perfect seal". It seems to me that the tape making a PERFECT seal would not allow for synching in any way.
                        "have severe black smoke out of exhaust" would indicate rich on that cyl not starving for fuel as in plugged off.
                        "4= 112 degrees " indicates rich or non-firing yet you say "#4 was empty, now where to look for that" .
                        I am only asking these questions to help others clarify what they are attempting if they have similar issues.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

carb issues

thanks larrym for your help.. muchappreciated, i thinki am going to take a chance on the pods filters when i put it back together, what ya think?
                          1982 xj1100
                          1983 xj550

Comment

Power of the "Id"

I think that after he, like so many of us, reached his own "Boggle Point" his conscious mind went into shock. This allowed his unconscious mind to rise up and point out what it had been trying to say all along: "This just ain't right!" along with an image of his idle jets placed incorrectly.

Lots of variables and actions in the troubleshooting process. Sometimes the best thing is to walk away and let things ferment for a while. Literally. Have a beer and then sleep on it.

Pods. I mean, "Pod. Pod. Pod. Pod." As in four of 'em??

You better like the sound of four CV Mikuni's trying to suck your girlfriends skirt off while she rides behind you. A Lot. Really. Never ending noise. I mean it. Every gear change. Never going away till you turn off the ignition key.

You'd be suprised just how good the OEM airbox deadens the sound. Little Japanese Guys in Labcoats really showed their Kung-Fu here.

Release the Dragons and cover your ears!

Comment

Beer

Sometimes it is the problem, other times it is the solution of solutions!!
                              78 XS1100E Standard
                              Coca Cola Red
                              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                                Pods. I mean, "Pod. Pod. Pod. Pod." As in four of 'em??

You better like the sound of four CV Mikuni's trying to suck your girlfriends skirt off while she rides behind you. A Lot. Really. Never ending noise. I mean it. Every gear change. Never going away till you turn off the ignition key.

You'd be suprised just how good the OEM airbox deadens the sound. Little Japanese Guys in Labcoats really showed their Kung-Fu here.

Release the Dragons and cover your ears!
                                Personally, I like the growl. It isn't so bad when cruising, as it is at full throttle. The airbox is a thing of wonder though. Nice constant unturbulated air makes the tuning set and forget. Pods are tweak and tweak again.

You did get me thinking though, "How can I get SWMBO to wear a skirt on the scoot?"
                                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                                X