Stupid tip over switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid tip over switch

I've been trying to get a spark for over a week now and I just discovered that it was the stupid tip over switch. I don't know if the switch is stupid or just me! I have tested my TCI my coils wires everything and I just couldn't get a spark. One night I even saw a glimpse of a spark as the bike backfired (which was loud enough to wake the dead!) But the spark soon faded and back to nothing.

Can I just unplug the switch or does it have to be there for any other systems to work?
    1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Unplug the tipover switch to bypass.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks that's what I needed to know. This little switch caused me to use lots of four letter words!
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

Yep you can remove it, but know that if the bike ever goes over on top of you, it will keep running and could cause you serious harm. To me it is one of those safety things that is better to have and not need than to miss when you need it. JMHO

And wiht all the bikes I've seen getting parted out lately and the fact it is one of the completely interchangable parts from any year or model, it should be pretty easy to come by.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by MeatTooth View Post
          This little switch caused me to use lots of four letter words!
          Tisk Tisk, bike didn't understand a single word.
          Ya gota learn Japanese or speak real slow and loud.

mro

Many have done away with the tip over switch. Bad ones can work intermittently, or not at all or sometimes cut you out on a good turn.

Comment

Hey MeatTooth,

Do a search for tip over switch and posts by 3Phase, he posted a nice writeup where he actually took his apart, cleaned it, and put it back together and into service!! YMMV!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I agree with all previous with an emphysis on replace/repairing and not just bypassing! I have dumped mine and was real happy she shut down!

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Picture a well tuned xs 11, in an accident that bends the handle bar and pulls the throttle wide open, while it falls over on you....

or even just bounces around the street for a while.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

My 2 cents

Picture me, four weeks ago, getting hammered by a Gold Wing and going down.
                  Like stated before, thank God the scoot shuts off. Otherwise a tank slapper can become an automatic self destruct machine.
                  Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                  1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                  1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                    Picture a well tuned xs 11, in an accident that bends the handle bar and pulls the throttle wide open, while it falls over on you....

or even just bounces around the street for a while.
                    Yeah, I was pretty glad the tip over switch worked in my accident. I ended up with my right foot caught between the left handle bar and fuel tank. If that thing would have kept running, I would have been dragged around, and probably had lots more broken stuff. I figure even at idle in first, the rear wheel has enough torque to break a bone, if an extremity happens to get caught in there.

Not to mention, you don't want the bike running with all the oil away from the pick up tube for long.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                    X