I need a seat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a seat!

So my seat soaks up water like a sponge so i called around and got quoted about 150 to recover it and shave down the queen seat...

anybody know of a better deal?? Would a 1980 special seat fit my 79 special??

On a side note my buddy is getting a 85 nighthawk 650 for $600 tomorrow...im a little jealous...our bikes are still better right??

...i guess i can't complain I got mine for $350....
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

It will fit, but not quite right. The seats are ever so slightly different shaped where the sidecovers go.

Yes, the 1100 will eat the 650 for breakfast, but it's not really a fair fight!
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I feel better..

Well that makes me believe that my seat is not for a 79 speacial then because it is damn near impossible to put it in the latch and screw it down...actually i have never got it under the latch and screwed down. so I wander it I should just buy the 80 special it looks good and would be a bit cheaper...i would really like a flatter look, i hate how how my queen sits up. After this its drag bars...i will be doing some searching for that shortly...

And yes I guess its not a fair fight....but who cares about fair when you pull up to a stop light with your buddy...
      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

650 NightHawk
        I gust fixed one up about a month ago for a friend.
        (just forks and handle bars)
        Sold for $1200.00

They feel like a toy compaired to an XS11
        I do kinda like the way the exhaust look.

mro
        BTW
        After I got my LG seat recovered I put it on a 79 special. Not only do the sides of the seat hang down a little but the back of the seat is different too.

Comment

hmm

Well this is true the backs did look different...so I wander what I should do...

Anyone have or know of one i could get?

Comment

I have a 79 standard seat that I would trade if you have any extra carb parts, or any other parts you aren't going to use. If not it is just sitting there collecting dust, so if you pay for shipping you can have it!

-Rick

just PM me. That goes for anyone else too!
            1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The Standard seat won't fit the Special. They attach differently, and are shaped differently too.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Oh dang...

Well I've got one offer on the seat, and will post it in the for sale section/barter section (if there is one) and post pictures when I get to it tomorrow.

It does seem to be in great condition. It doesn't have any rips or tears in it if I remember correctly.

-Rick
                1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The 79 special seat was only made for one year and will only fit the 79 special properly.
                  Here is one that didn't sell on ebay recently, maybe you can work out a deal with the seller if they still have it -http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

acof911 is correct that only a '79 Special seat will fit a '79 Special properly. An '80 Special seat can be made to fit with some work. You can follow the link in my sig line, the last page or two shows my work on an '80 seat pan to get it to fit my '79 Special. Recovering and foam work in Cali cost me $200.

From experience I can tell you that an '80 Special seat will hit the back of the side panels. A standard seat will hit the TCI and the side panels on both sides. If you relocate the TCI, you'll still hit the side panels.

The seat tang not fitting under the tank is most likely a bent tang. You can hook a crecent wrench on it and bend it back into location fairly easy. I've had several seats that I've had to do that to in order to get the pans to lock down correctly.
                    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                    '07 FJR1300

Comment

I have a seat ...

for an SF ... good condition ... PM me if you're interested
                      80G Mini-bagger
                      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

i have this seat

i think it is a 80 special but i may be wrong. some one who knows chime in. if you interested pm, me http://community.webshots.com/album/574308968CmqlLJ
                        79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Working...
                        X