Wheel alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel alignment

Does anyone have a method for confirming wheel alignment? On my chain driven bike lining up the rear sprocket lined up with the counter drive sprocket may not by default mean that the wheels are properly aligned. I figure I should confirm that the wheels are properly aligned and then adjust the rear sprocket as necessary.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
    Does anyone have a method for confirming wheel alignment? On my chain driven bike lining up the rear sprocket lined up with the counter drive sprocket may not by default mean that the wheels are properly aligned. I figure I should confirm that the wheels are properly aligned and then adjust the rear sprocket as necessary.
    Rob
    You blew my mind there for a second.
    Actually had to go look at the 11.
    Anyway, there is no adjustment, like on a chain drive bike, on the shaft drive XS11.
    If nothing is bent or the swingarm bushings aren't bad, it has to be inline.
    Can be checked. I use a straight edge held to the rear tire that extends to the
    front wheel and measure to both ends of front wheel. repeat on both sides.
    Usually needs 2 people to do this.
    HTH
    John
    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
    '78 CB750F ( The F)
    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
    Then: '76 CB550K
    '78 CB750F
    '84 VF1100S
    And still Looking!

Comment

Originally posted by jjwaller View Post
      You blew my mind there for a second.
      Actually had to go look at the 11.
      Anyway, there is no adjustment, like on a chain drive bike, on the shaft drive XS11.
      If nothing is bent or the swingarm bushings aren't bad, it has to be inline.
      Can be checked. I use a straight edge held to the rear tire that extends to the
      front wheel and measure to both ends of front wheel. repeat on both sides.
      Usually needs 2 people to do this.
      HTH
      This is for on my chain drive converted XS11

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
        This is for on my chain drive converted XS11
        Well I guess that would make a difference! SABT
        Another method is to use strings as straight edges.
        Fasten to back of rear tire or use one long enough to wrap around
        and reach past the front wheel, and then pull them taught,
        while barely touching the front of the rear wheel, and then measure
        the distance to the front and rear of the front wheel.
        Can be done by one person if the front string supports are elevated
        and you use weights to hold strings down.
        Hope this makes sense.
        HTH.
        John
        '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
        '78 CB750F ( The F)
        '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
        '78 CB750F
        '84 VF1100S
        And still Looking!

Comment

Hey Rob,

DO you have a laser level? Perhaps, on centerstand, front wheel up on 2x4, then laser level against right side of rim, and mark where it hits the 2x4, then put on left side of rim, mark again on left side of 2x4, and see if the marks are equadistant from centerline of front tire? IF not, then adjust accordingly!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

After typing the above, I realized that the rear wheel could still be skewed at an angle left or right. ie. If the wheel is a few mm's off centerline to the right, then adjusting the angle of the rear wheel/axle so that the right side of the axle was slightly more forward than the left, would possibly put the laser shining equally on both sides of center line of front tire, but rear would still be askew!

Perhaps ensure that the front tire is truly straight, use the laser level on it against the wall in front, and then use the laser level on the rear using the same wall markings??
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Roger that TC:
              I have been trying to find a thread on other forums (SOHC 4, DOHC 4, V65, and others)about the more high tech method of the Laser. I know I found an excellent detailed thread about using lasers at one time, but I can't find it now.
              I'll keep looking.
              Always love the High Tech approach
              John
              '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
              '78 CB750F ( The F)
              '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
              '78 CB750F
              '84 VF1100S
              And still Looking!

Comment

Hey TC. I just did a "dry run" working from the front wheel with the new tire on. I put a straight piece of angle iron against and across both sides of the front tire and made marks on the bench. I carried those marks to the back of the bike and could see right away that the front wheel was not sitting parallel with the frame. I have no way to confirm the front wheels true straight position so that did not work. I think the best I will be able to do is go to my stock bike and measure from the rear rims edge to a fixed point on the frames right hand side and duplicate that measurement to the hop up bike.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                After typing the above, I realized that the rear wheel could still be skewed at an angle left or right. ie. If the wheel is a few mm's off centerline to the right, then adjusting the angle of the rear wheel/axle so that the right side of the axle was slightly more forward than the left, would possibly put the laser shining equally on both sides of center line of front tire, but rear would still be askew!

Perhaps ensure that the front tire is truly straight, use the laser level on it against the wall in front, and then use the laser level on the rear using the same wall markings??
                T.C.

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Anyway, there is no adjustment, like on a chain drive bike, on the shaft drive XS11. If nothing is bent or the swingarm bushings aren't bad, it has to be inline.
                  I know this won't help Rob, but this statement isn't correct about the stock 11. You've got maybe a 1/4 to 3/8" gap on each side of the swingarm between it and the inside of the frame. You can loosen the jam nuts, and with an allen wrench, suck it back and forth. I always just try to get it centered and just assume that's where it's supposed to be? I think this would get some clearance on those tires that just barely rub the shaft housing... but no idea how that would affect handling.. if any.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yes Tod, There is the adjustment of the swing arms position to move the wheel left or right but when the swing arm is "properly" centered the position of the rear drive unit will pretty much control the wheels location. Anyway, with this chain drive rear end there are axle spacers but it appears that when the sprockets are properly lined up the wheels are not. The sprocket hub slides onto the wheels splines with no shims included that can be used to alter the hubs position.
                    I think I will have to perhaps clamp a piece of angle iron to the frame just below the plastic side cover and measure over to the rims closest edge and duplicate this measurement onto the hop up bike. I am hoping the frames are manufactured to a close enough tolerance for this to be useful or at least a good starting point. At this point I don't even know if the rubber seal that normally sits at the base of the wheels splines is to be left in place or removed. Having no instructions with this used kit has not been helpful.

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    I know this won't help Rob, but this statement isn't correct about the stock 11. You've got maybe a 1/4 to 3/8" gap on each side of the swingarm between it and the inside of the frame. You can loosen the jam nuts, and with an allen wrench, suck it back and forth. I always just try to get it centered and just assume that's where it's supposed to be? I think this would get some clearance on those tires that just barely rub the shaft housing... but no idea how that would affect handling.. if any.

Tod

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

On the chain and belt drive bikes I've owned, I've always put a straightedge on the rear sprocket towards the front one and adjusted the wheel until they lined up. The sprockets should be parallel to each other. If the straightedge hits the front sprocket at an angle, you need to look at the rear wheel spacers, although if it's off by less than 1/16" that doesn't seem to hurt. On a chain drive, do this without the chain installed; do the alignment, make some reference marks, then reinstall the chain, doing the final adjustment by moving the wheel +/- the same amount on both sides. This has always worked for me. Depending on the bike, you'll have to remove various bits to get a clear path for the straightedge.

A PITA the first time, but if you keep track of your 'reference' marks, easy after that.

'78E original owner
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Here's the jig I used on my (chain) bike to align the tires

I cut a 2 X 6 board and layed it against the wheels. Notch the wood 1/2 the width of the tires
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                        X