Need 80/81 intake valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 80/81 intake valve

So yesterday I was working on another member's (Varnae's) machine that had the annoying habit of blowing the vacuum line off the #1 carb boot when trying to synch. I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearance on #1 and it was over twice as wide as it was supposed to be. We pulled the head, and while it looked ok, when the #1 intake valve was removed and spun slowly in a drill press it was obvious it was bent.

Varnae's really been having his problems this summer. Earlier this year he had a valve head break off and pound a 2" hole through the top of his number three piston (believe it or not it still ran!). The SWOXS team traveled the 100 miles to Indy, and swapped the motor out for one that was described as a 'good motor' by the guy the sold it to Varnae. After getting the 'good motor' in, we found that it wouldn't pump oil. DGXSER went back over to Indy several days later and took the bottom of the motor apart and fixed that little snafu, and we thought we were getting pretty close. Varnae brought the bike to cincy and when we attempted to tune it, we found the problem with the #1 intake.

Anyway, I went ahead and cleaned and lapped the other 7 valves, so now all we're lacking is an intake valve for good 'ole #1. Which brings me to the point of this thread - anybody out there got an intake valve for an 80/81 head that they would like to part with? Varnae is getting understandably depressed about the whole thing, and I for one, would really like to see him able to ride it before the summer is gone, and before he wears out his trailer running back and forth between indy and cincy .
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Probably a no-brainer.. but make sure you re-shim. A very light valve lapping on mine resulted in many of my clearances to be off by two full shim sizes.

Like to help you on the valve, but already donated all of mine...

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have one pm me and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Terry - You da man! I appreciate it, brother.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks a bunch to Terry. I got the valve today, and it's the correct part and the shaft is straight as an arrow. It's much appreciated. Hopefully we'll get Varnae's bike running this weekend, and he can finally go for a ride that doesn't end badly.

Comment

Terry, Thanks VERY much for the part. I appreciate it immensely! I can't wait til this weekend! I'm really hoping we get Goose on the road this time.

Doug, no need to worry about wearing out the trailer... they've all been borrowed!
            If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Glad I could help.Make me feel good.

Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Sorry I meant to say(it makes me feel good to help)
                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Terry - I kind of figured that's what you meant . Got the valve lapped in and installed today. Everything's looking good. Tomorrow the whole SWOXS crew is coming over, and hopefully Varnae will get to ride the beast. Like they say in Italian, 'keepa you fingas crossed.'

Comment

Update

Well, we got the head installed yesterday and we've still got issues with the motor. The valve seems to be working well though - the #1 cylinder looked good. It ran WAY better than it did, unfortunately the motor doesn't want to go past 4.5k. DGXSER is going to stop by Varnae's this week and put a compression gauge on it to double check our handywork on the head. I'm thinking we've got carb or ignition issues to deal with. We're getting there - slow but sure .

Comment

You know it is alot like a treasure hunt or those movies "National Treasure". Every step leads you to the next clue, and hopefully, eventually, at the end, is a SWEET running machine.

You just never know which steps will get you to the end.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X