Which carb rebuild kit should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which carb rebuild kit should I use?

I have a 1979 xs1100 standard, I don't know which letter that is, but my vin number is 2h7-024954. What model and can i get this rebuild kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...Q5fAccessories

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

The '79 Standard is an XS1100F. The Special would be the SF. This is the kit you're looking for. $19.50 for the whole thing, including new jets, needles and seats.

I just looked at your link, and that one would work too. Decent price for 4 of them too!
    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 08-23-2009, 12:24 AM.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

You can also use ...

a kit containing just the minor parts exclusive of jets and needles.

https://www.partsnmore.com/motorcycl...gory=carb_kits

My personal preference is to retain the original jets and needles UNLESS they are no longer serviceable, ie., worn needles, buggered slots etc.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

None, kits stink. Get a set of bowl gaskets and float valves, clean what you have, and save yourself some money (and potential headaches).
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Would it be totally bad to just make my own gaskets and use what I have? I did break the net filter, but I think if I take a single strand of speaker wire (copper freyed... ) I can sew the rip in the net. I soaked the float in carb cleaner on accident too...I think it made it have a leak, so I got some seal-all (good with gas, and oil!) and coated it. I am goint to put another coat on, but I think it will be okay...

So what do you fellas think about making the gasket? I am just using high temp grey gasket from the auto parts store. NOT RUBBER!

-Rick
          1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Are your gaskets leaking? I never replaced mine, even though I've had mine apart many times. No problems with leaking at all. If you really want them, I'll send you the gaskets I have.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

The gaskets had broken into pieces and I had some gasket material laying around from a previous project I was working on...I have to admit it was intricate, but I managed to make one! If your not using the gaskets it would really save me alot of work, and I would really appreciate it.

Anyone have any idea about the net filter?

Also I did get one of the carbs put back together, all clean and such. Is there a way to bench test a single carb? Or would that be pointless?

-Rick
              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Working...
              X