My Octy adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Octy adventure

Well we have to go back in time to July 3rd 2009. I was on my way up to VA to get some help with the second gear fix and TC tells me to pick up some single wall 1/4 fuel line to replace the Octy lines. I stopped at the Yamaha dealership no luck, stopped at Harley dealership no luck, finally I stopped at Lowe's and picked up 1/4 fuel line that I was told was single wall(NOT). So TC says I can do it later. Ok back to a week ago I am riding to Winston Salem and I get a kink in the fuel line and have to work it out to get back on the road. So I decided to do the fuel lines. First thing is to get the fuel line. First stop Harley dealership no luck, second Yamaha dealership no luck, try VW dealership since I heard they use it no luck, then another Foreign Accents no luck, then I tried three rubber specialty places no luck, the I tried a Honda dealership(I looked on there bikes and they use single wall fuel line) no luck, at this point I am going to give up and use regular hose but I pass by a Kawasaki dealership and say ha try there and the guy says yes I was getting ready to send some back and there it is the Holy Grail.
    Then today I start at 11:30am to start to put on my Holy Grail of fuel line. I take the Octy off and cut the main fuel lines I had decided to cross the input lines to help with kinking I get a few more pieces cut and then decide to start putting on the clamps and then I realize the clamp are to small and I have to get new clamps. I head to Advance to pickup hose clamps. They have one pack of 4 for 2.98 I decided not for me since I need about 20. I ask the counter help and she brings out boxes of single clamps at .99 a piece NOT. I decide to head to the hardware store and he had 19 for $5.23 alot better. I get back home time now is 1:30. I get the rest of the hoses cut and run the line with filter between carb boots and hook everything up. Button down the tank and stand back to admire my work and see a big Kink in the prime line CRAP. Well easy fix just pull a little on the fuel line on other side and that does it. Lets start ECHOS, turn on fuel and start cranking about 10 seconds and I am standing in gas pouring from everywere. Relieve maybe not a good idea to pull on that Fuel Line. The line came off and I had to take tank and redue the crossing fuel line to allow for nonkinking. Finally finished at 4:00. Took it for a ride and it runs. SWMBO tells me your taking me out to diner.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

I got rid of the rat's nest. Off of both Tees I went double wall line to a filter- double wall to a Y fitting and single wall UV resistant (clear blue) line to the petcocks. You can see the fuel and it is very pliable. The heaver double wall resistes kinking. I found the regular single wall black fuel line hardens in about 24 hours when exposed to air after having run fuel in it. It stays pliable until you drain it to work on carbs, etc.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
      I found the regular single wall black fuel line hardens in about 24 hours when exposed to air after having run fuel in it. It stays pliable until you drain it to work on carbs, etc.
      Hey John,

I think you may be getting/being given/sold the single walled vacuum rubber
      line instead. AND you're right, it's NOT designed for fuel line and will harden and crack very quickly when exposed to fuel. Some parts shops people aren't too smart! The single walled grey rubber stuff I got from my local Yamaha dealer some 8 years ago is still very pliable and sealing well!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm using the yellow fuel line made by briggs and stratton sold at the local hardware store. I do not even use clamps on it and it holds great, never leaked a drop so far. Had it on for about 8 months now.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X