new smaller battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new smaller battery question

I'm fabbing up my frame now, and I need to finish a battery box/holder before I'm ready to have it sandblasted.

I eliminated the stock battery tray/bracketry.

I want to install a new smaller battery, and have it in the triangle of frame on the left side where side cover would be.

I simply need to know what battery I can use, that will have the amps to turn over the 1100 engine ok, but smaller to fit in that left side area.
    With measurements, I can build the holder. No cash, I can buy the battery itself later.

(some nice new motorcycle batteries are completely sealed, and can be mounted in any orientation)

The sealed battery is definitely the way to go, but I have no idea what other batteries have the guts to suit, but are smaller, as I just go for the stock item. Might head to the store with the electrical specs of the old battery and compare the smaller ones that are available.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah I got a size for a standard size motorcycle battery I will use.

Basically 6" X 5 3/4" X 3 1/4"

Comment

If I were doing it, I would go to a larger battery and set it up to take those cheap garden tractor batteries... If you like bump starting, I guess a smaller battery is OK...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X