Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solenoid rebuilding and troubleshooting bike that won't turn over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid rebuilding and troubleshooting bike that won't turn over!

I tried troubleshooting everything else I could think of, and the wires were terrible on the solenoid. So I unsoldered the old wires off of the terminals on the solenoid and soldered new ones on. With the new wires on I hooked up the old blue/white (which is now the white) and the red/white (which is now the solid red) to the negative and positive terminals on my battery charger. All it did was click...I thought it would spin or something, but I guess it is just the solenoid, and it wasn't connected to anything. If it clicks does that mean it is working? I am trying to troubleshoot my bike and it seemed like this was as good a place as any to start. They were all rusty! I will post an update after it is back on my bike.

Here are some pics of how I did it...

-Rick

1979 XS1100 Standard

Nice work, yes if it's clicking it's operating. BUT, that doesn't mean the high amp contacts inside are clean. To do that you have to take it apart. It's been a while since I did mine, but if I remember correctly you'll have to de-solder the coil wires to take it apart ( you can see them poking through in your 3rd pic). Then you clean the contacts up with emory cloth and re-assemble. NO GREASE on those contacts.

Comment

I thought should have taken the wires off and checked inside when it was desoldered, but for some reason I was feeling lazy, and didn't check to see if they were clean. I did get my bike started though today and it seemed to crank over just fine once the fuel got into the carbs. Should I take it back apart and check or do you think all is well if it started just fine?

Thanks,
      -Rick
      1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Rainy day list: Soldenoid internal contacts

I'd say to put the soldenoid disassemble task on the "to do on a rainy day" list. It appears to work for now and when it fails you'll know cause there will be a big measurable voltage drop across those large terminals when you engage the soldenoid. Then you can tear it down into its component parts and emery cloth the contacts.

I just love the fact that these soldenoids can be taken apart non-destructively. Not the case on other bikes and so all you can do is toss it and order a new one...

Good soldering job. Looks like you've been at this before.

Comment

Working...
        X