140 mph speedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 mph speedo?

Considering the purchase of a 140 mph speedo offered as a being for a Special so I don't have to look at that silly 85 mph number on my recently purchased 81--but could this be a legit piece of equipment? The standards had a 160 mph unit, so it makes me wonder and I haven't been able to pull the answer off the web anywhere.

P.S. Hi folks, my first post, my second XS--sold the first one (a true junkyard dog but what a wild ride) in 1991, so it's been a long, dry spell.
    Happy Riding

1981 XS11 Special
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Oh yeah--and a blue 1960 Impala Sport Coupe

Welcome to the site.

Not sure about the speedo, I am sure others here will have an answer to that.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yes, it's legite. 85, 140, 160... depending on which year & model.

Either 140 or 160 will work, but there is some dremel surgery involved in the swap.

Did mine on my XJ. from 85 to 160... works great. Looks great.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hey ImpalaBlue,

The 160's were the XS11's, but the 140's were the 850's/750's, the 650's have 120, but as long as they are XS series bikes/models....and they had specials in all of these, then it'll be a round gauge, and is fairly plug and play, will read the speed correctly. The wiring of the lights may be a little different. The Dremmel work was for putting one into an XJ's instrument cluster, but for an 81Special, should be relatively easy! I have a 140 on my 81SH!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

more on the 140 speedo

OK, that's good to know--next question is whether or not the guts will switch out into my nice speedo, as the 140 speedo is not pretty enough as is.
          Happy Riding

1981 XS11 Special
          2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Oh yeah--and a blue 1960 Impala Sport Coupe

Comment

The chrome is just a cosmetic cover, will unbolt and swap just fine!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have the 140 speedo from an XS750 on my 1100. Works just fine. My 1100 only goes 135 anyway ........ once
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I put the 140 on my Special. Easy swap, works fine, but did loose my self-cancelling turn signals in the process.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad View Post
                  I put the 140 on my Special. Easy swap, works fine, but did loose my self-cancelling turn signals in the process.
                  Why? What did you do to kill that feature? Shouldn't all the connections still allow the Self-canceller to work with any of the XS Speedos?
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

My self-cancel still works after the swap
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Why? What did you do to kill that feature? Shouldn't all the connections still allow the Self-canceller to work with any of the XS Speedos?

Something to do with that little reed switch thing. Hasn't bothered me, so I haven't looked into it further. It was a brand new 140 speedo that went on, and the self-cancel immediately was kapput. It was a straight plug and play swap otherwise.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

160 mph speedometer

My 160 arrived yesterday, it only has 4000 more miles registered on it than the original shows.

I'm thinking that I should wait until they match to do the swap.

Any tips or hints needed, or is it a straight plug in replacement?
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

I swapped in a 160 in my old special.It is an easy deal.I was lucky enough to get a speedo with about 1000 miles more than my original.I waited to install it untill it was within 100 miles of the same reading.
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            The chrome is just a cosmetic cover, will unbolt and swap just fine!
                            T.C.
                            Hi TC,
                            you mean the chrome bezel that holds the glass onto a round XS Special speedo?
                            If that were so my son's XS650 speedo face wouldn't be rattling around loose in there.
                            That bastard ring is coined on and is a right swine to remove and replace.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi TC,
                              you mean the chrome bezel that holds the glass onto a round XS Special speedo?
                              Hi again TC,
                              on sober second thought, you mean the chrome bucket the gauge sits in?
                              OK, that swaps easy enough, be careful not to lose the little rubber donuts on the attachment bolts.
                              Gawd, those chrome buckets are vulnerable to tip-over damage. We must have six or so speedo buckets either on bikes or in the spares box and every last one of them has an ugly dent in it.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X