Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak flow from petcocks

'81 H. Been in barn for 15 years.

Took the petcocks apart and cleaned. The seals were a little hard, but no cracks and appeared salvageable. I soaked them in PB Blaster for half a day, which brought them back to life. Blew compressed air through all the passages, and all is clear. Reassembled the Petcocks. I can suck in on the vacuum port and diaphragm seems to be working and holding open when on vacuum.

Petcocks back on tank and gas in tank. No Leaks! But poor flow. Gas trickles out. Actually more of a drip. Gas should be pouring out, right? Same whether on Prime, or whether they are ON, and vacuum is applied. Took back apart thinking that I put them back together wrong, but everything looks OK. Passages are still clear after disassembling.

How easy should the valve be to turn (between Prime, On, Res.) Mine is quite tight. I never bent the spring to begin with, so I don't think that to much spring is the issue. Maybe the PB caused the seals to swell too much, but I would think that they've had ample time to dry out and go back to normal. Obviously I don't have a new set to compare to.

Any recommendations? Everyone seems to be out of stock on the rebuild kits. I'll just buy new aftermarket ones & adapter plates before I pay 60+ on fleabay for the rebuild kits. Hoping to salvage what I have.
    Last edited by bgrubb7; 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM.
    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Mine are a tad stiff, and I replaced the seals in mine last fall. I can turn them one-handed while riding though, if that gives any indication of stiffness.

Bikebandit has the seals in stock for $11.46 each though. Part number 8471-01. The fuel should just DUMP out of the hose when opened. Prime bypasses the vacuum, so there is obviously something stopping the flow. Have you removed the filter screens on the towers, and cleaned them out? Try assembling it so that it is in the Prime position without having to turn the knob, then test. That way you know the seal is in there the way it's supposed to be.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Did you have both petcocks apart at the same time? There are left and right parts, so if any got switched from one side to the other it might account for what you describe. Also, if you didn't get the rubber gasket with the multiple holes back in the right orientation that might do it. I went around and around with rebuild kits and leaks, and finally just s-canned the vacuum petcocks and installed aftermarket petcocks from Partsnmore. Haven't had a problem with petcocks since then.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Nope, one at a time. I took the second one apart, while I reassembled the first so I made sure to get it back together properly. I'll check it for the third time, and try reassembling in the prime position.

Everything was cleaned, including the filter screens. When the seals are out, there is no obstruction, so it has to be a matter of seals not in right, or the diaphragm not opening all the way.

I've already decided not to mess with the rebuild kits. I'll go the aftermarket route if I can't get these to work. Z-1 has some manual petcocks for 12.99, but their adapter plates are $25 a piece

While Parts n More has $6 adapter plates, but their petcocks are $29. Anyone know where I can get cheap petcocks and plates at the same place?

Also, there was a link around here where someone filled the back of the knob with solder, and bypassing the vacuum function essentially making it an on-off valve? I'm not finding it, or maybe I'm stumbling right over it.
        '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Originally posted by bgrubb7 View Post
          Also, there was a link around here where someone filled the back of the knob with solder, and bypassing the vacuum function essentially making it an on-off valve? I'm not finding it, or maybe I'm stumbling right over it.
          Never mind I found it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...petcock+solder
          '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Can't find the thread.
            Do either of the Mikes-XS manual petcocks
            fit the E standard tank?
            http://www.mikesxs.net/products-34.html#products
            There are 3, One set is left and right, and a third one.
            He doesn't list dimensions.
            John
            Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
            '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
            '78 CB750F ( The F)
            '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
            New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
            Then: '76 CB550K
            '78 CB750F
            '84 VF1100S
            And still Looking!

Comment

Yep, I did that solder mod. After the solder was filed down, I tapped it out and JB welded it back in place. I've been running it that way for some time with no problems. Prime position is now off position.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The Mikesxs petcocks fit a standard tank. I have them on Succubus, my '79 Standard. The original petcocks I keep hanging on the shop wall to teach me humility.

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Yep, I did that solder mod. After the solder was filed down, I tapped it out and JB welded it back in place. I've been running it that way for some time with no problems. Prime position is now off position.
                  Did you take the diaphragm out or leave it in?
                  '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Originally posted by bgrubb7 View Post
                    Did you take the diaphragm out or leave it in?
                    I left the diaphragm in to serve as a gasket, but moved the spring to the other side to force the diaphragm in the open position, instead of the closed. I also plugged off the vacuum port on the petcock.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 08-21-2009, 11:58 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
                      The Mikesxs petcocks fit a standard tank. I have them on Succubus, my '79 Standard. The original petcocks I keep hanging on the shop wall to teach me humility.

Patrick
                      Yes, but is that the left right pair, or the stand alone one
                      (of course you need 2)?
                      John
                      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                      '78 CB750F ( The F)
                      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                      Then: '76 CB550K
                      '78 CB750F
                      '84 VF1100S
                      And still Looking!

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        I left the diaphragm in to serve as a gasket, but moved the spring to the other side to force the diaphragm in the open position, instead of the closed. I also plugged off the vacuum port on the petcock.
                        I really like this idea ans might just do it in the future. For now, I did end up getting mine to work. There was still alot of crud inside the filter screens that kept settling down into the fuel passages. I didn't take the screens off the first time because I was afraid I'd break them. I managed to get them off this time, and instantly saw the problem. They did leak a bit at first, but I bent the washer in the front a bit to put a little more pressure on the main seal, and bent the diaphragm spring out a bit to put a little more pressure on theo-ring, and now everything works. There is still a very slow drip, but I have good float valves, so the carbs aren't overflowing.
                        '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Working...
                        X