Trouble with my master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with my master

Not my wife - I live in trouble there. You learn to roll with it. The problem I have is with that other troublesome master: the one that actually can make me stop when it wants to.

I am just about ready to try starting Incubus, the new XS11 project. I have spark and the carbs are reasonably clean - at least much cleaner than before with clear passages. They should work well enough to see if the bike runs. But it occurred to me that since the bathroom off the master bedroom shares a wall with the garage - and since I like taking showers in the morning without waving to my neighbors - I should have a way to stop this 600-pound beast before granting it the ability to move under its own power.

Brakes would be a serious plus.

My front master cylinder was frozen brick solid when I pulled it from the parts bike. I soaked it for a couple of days in denatured alcohol to melt the ancient brake fluid and then was able to depress the piston in the vise using a small socket on the end of the piston and another socket on the back of the master. I believe, since the piston moves, albeit reluctantly, that this master can be saved. I got the old circlip out, but there is no way to grab the piston that I can see, at least well enough to battle the sticktitude, so I'm not sure how to pull it clear.

By the way, that's a new word. I just made it up.

I haven't had one of these apart in a while. Does the banjo bolt hole go all the way through to the piston? Can I put something through that hole and force the piston out that way, again in the vise? Anybody know any tricks to remove a reluctant piston is isn't quite completely stuck?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

is it stock

If the clip is out you should be able to push it out the side
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
      - - - - I haven't had one of these apart in a while. Does the banjo bolt hole go all the way through to the piston? Can I put something through that hole and force the piston out that way, again in the vise? Anybody know any tricks to remove a reluctant piston is isn't quite completely stuck? - - -
      Hi Patrick,
      yes, that will work. Use a wooden dowel to push the m/c's innards out and a deep socket to catch them.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bingo!

I can't imagine why this stuck. Maybe I can reuse it...

Now I have to figure out how to clean out the bore.

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Now I have to figure out how to clean out the bore.
          They make little round brushes for cleaning battery terminals, and that's what I used to clean mine out when I rebuilt it. Worked pretty good.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Might want to look into getting a rebuild kit there... The kits include the rubber seals, the piston, and the spring, along with the circlip and the washer thingy. $21 at PartsNMore.
            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
            X