no start...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no start...help

OK so I replaced the fuel line and added a fuel filter. Octo is gone. petcocks set to prime. Battery is recharged. Cranks and will fire over breifley with starting fluid but without it...NOTHING. Cranks but no fire. I know I have spark to all plugs. Does the Fuel line need to be a direct feed down to fill the bowl? It currently dips then comes back up due to the big filter I have installed. ANy ideas guys??
    P.S. just added new plugs.

Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

No, it doesn't need to be a direct feed to fill the bowl. Have you checked to make sure that there are no kinks of any kind in the line? Have you tried just putting your petcocks in the ON position instead of PRIME? Not sure that this would make a difference but worth checking. With them on PRIME, if you disconnect them from the carbs, you should basically have free flowing gas if I recall correctly. Check and see if that's the case. If not then I'd say your problem probably lies either in that filter or in your petcocks.

Disclaimer: I'm still a newbie when it comes to these bikes, my advice may not be sound.
    If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

unable to control rpm

OK so now putting the petcocks in the on or reserve position and she starts. However the idle soars. I have backed off the center idle control till it is damn near al the way ut and she still screams.

I belive I flooded the bowls because upon starting the bike it spit some fuel back toward the intake and out on to the engine. what the hell did I do now???

Gary
      Gary King
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Ok... it sounds like you're making progress now & you're on the right track...

Take a breath... sometimes that alone can really help...

Now, can you elaborate a little more as to where the fuel came out...?

If it leaked around any of the boots where the clamps are... that can also show you have an air (vacuum) leak there as well... which can cause high, uncontrolled idle speed.

When you placed the petcocks in the "prime" setting, it may have overfilled the bowls, or if you have a float problem / needle & seat problem in 1 or more carbs...

You might just turn the petcocks off, let it set for a little while, then turn them to on, and try again.

Hang in there... sounds like there's life in the old girl...
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Also, Gary...
          I'm not able to see what bike you have...
          Can you update your signature (do that where the list is (left side) when you send a PM.)
          That way we know what model & year you have!

The choke setup might be something else we want to check... it will affect cold starting and high idle as well. Early XS's used a lever on the left side, XJ's use a handlebar lever w/ a cable that works a slide rod...
          Thanks!
          Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
            Ok... it sounds like you're making progress now & you're on the right track...

God I hope so!

Take a breath... sometimes that alone can really help...

ok breathing calmly and stopped cussing at the bike

Now, can you elaborate a little more as to where the fuel came out...?

Running cheap velocity stack setup. Fuel coming out the end of the stack. not around the engine case intake boots. and had dumped quite of smoke and soot out of the exhaust

If it leaked around any of the boots where the clamps are... that can also show you have an air (vacuum) leak there as well... which can cause high, uncontrolled idle speed.
            All conections are tight and when i spray carb cleaner etc around the fittings it does not increase the idle.

When you placed the petcocks in the "prime" setting, it may have overfilled the bowls, or if you have a float problem / needle & seat problem in 1 or more carbs...

I am sure the needles are not fully cutting off the fuel flow. Gotta remember to turn petcocks off!!! I think thats where my overflow fuel came from, but not sure.

You might just turn the petcocks off, let it set for a little while, then turn them to on, and try again.

Even with the petcocks "off" the bike continues to run at an ungodly RPM. I have turned the idle screw almost all the way out but can't find a happy medium now between won;t stay running and OH MY GOSH SHES GONNA BLOW.

Hang in there... sounds like there's life in the old girl...
            Think DBEARDSLEE may be able to come check her out tomorrow, Hopefuly he has the tuning skills that I am lacking.
            Gary King
            bobbed with love.

Comment

Originally posted by gk45241 View Post
              OK so now putting the petcocks in the on or reserve position and she starts. However the idle soars. I have backed off the center idle control till it is damn near al the way ut and she still screams.
              I belive I flooded the bowls because upon starting the bike it spit some fuel back toward the intake and out on to the engine. what the hell did I do now???
              Gary
              Hi Gary,
              if you removed the octo, what did you do about the two fuel outlets on each tap? What most octo-removers do is cap off the "prime" outlet, run the leftside "on & res" outlet through an inline filter to the rightside carb inlet tee and vice versa. This crossover gives more room for the filters. Unless you also tee the two fuel lines together you have to open both taps to run all 4 cylinders. If you hooked the taps up another way you may have gotten the "prime" & "on & res" flows reversed.
              As to the screamin'; on my XS11SG, full enriched to start gives ~3,000 rpm with the grip rolled shut once the thing starts firing on all 4.
              1/2 enriched runs at ~2,000rpm and with the lever pushed back all the way, ~1,000 rpm when it's warmed up and stalls out before that.
              How's yer choke?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

if you removed the octo, what did you do about the two fuel outlets on each tap? What most octo-removers do is cap off the "prime" outlet, run the leftside "on & res" outlet through an inline filter to the rightside carb inlet tee and vice versa. This crossover gives more room for the filters. Unless you also tee the two fuel lines together you have to open both taps to run all 4 cylinders. If you hooked the taps up another way you may have gotten the "prime" & "on & res" flows reversed.

As I was instructed I used the rear tap on each side of the tank. Fuel lines look like a large sideways "H". Flows from both rear prime outlets when running to an inline filter then back to a "T" and to both sets of carb bowls.

As to the screamin'; on my XS11SG, full enriched to start gives ~3,000 rpm with the grip rolled shut once the thing starts firing on all 4.
                1/2 enriched runs at ~2,000rpm and with the lever pushed back all the way, ~1,000 rpm when it's warmed up and stalls out before that.
                How's yer choke?[/QUOTE]

With the choke on 2 start it takes about 3 seconds before she starts to howl. After that I drop the choke in. But even with the choke in it continues to scream on. After warm up it will start without the choke and then wails away out of control. The throttle cable is not sticking and is returning completely. I ave dropped down the Main idle screw now to control the wail. BUt now if I open the throttle at all the engine wants to die. Does this need a synch?? Is the idle screww Out to far? Like I said earlier in a post.... I cant find a happy medium....
                Gary King
                bobbed with love.

Comment

Gary, check to see if perhaps the throttle linkage might be hung up on the clamp that holds the carbs in the boots. sometimes, if they get a little rotationally off center, the throttle linkage will get stuck on them, not allowing them to fully return, just a thought, I suspect something it hanging up, check throttle cable movement also. have a nice day and ride safe
                  I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hey, Gary...

Boy, you had me goin' for a minute there! I started reading your reply to me, and I got to reading where you quoted me earlier... and then realized... "Hey... I didn't say that!!!" LOL Then I realized you had typed your reply in over my quote, and the two were one in the same! HeHeHe!!

Are we havin' fun yet?

And my buddies encouraged me to get one of these things as a STRESS RELIEVER!!!

I got confidence in DBeardslee... good luck, guys! Keep us posted.
                    Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Alright. Doug grabbed the infamous carb rack today to double check my float height and fix what may be an issue with a cracked/broken float pole. Well see what kind of results i get in a day or two when he brings them back and we synch. He has always been the man at getting my ole POS running right. This has been a labor of love/hate since I got it. I can relate with the stress release thing....JUST DEPENDS ON THE DAY.

Gary
                      Gary King
                      bobbed with love.

Comment

Working...
                      X