fork seal woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seal woes

hi guys, just had my fork seals replaced in May (1300km ago) but they are both leaking like crazy now, wondering . . .

where is the best place to buy new ones?
    why would they be leaking already?
    how do I replace them without a jack?
    how difficult a job is it for a novice?

thanks
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

As set of fork seals should last WAAY more than 1300km unless the installation was botched.

where is the best place to buy new ones? - Partsandmore.com or Bikebandit.com, been using the Partsandmore seals five years, no leaks.

why would they be leaking already? - Rough tubes (pitting) or they were nicked during the install.

how do I replace them without a jack? - difficult but not impossible, you can prop under the motor with wood blocks.

how difficult a job is it for a novice? - on a scale of one to ten, 5 but you need the right tools or some ingenuity. Do a search here for 'fork tubes' or the like. Disassembling the tubes is tricky. Properly reassembling the front end requires care and a torque wrench.

Get a service manual, the procedure is in there.

Comment

Just one more thing if they put in the wrong seals.Standard seals will fit on a special but will leak.I discovered that the hard way.
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Working...
      X