Leaking fuel from the two air tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking fuel from the two air tubes

If it's not one thing it's another. Working on any engine is an art in my opinion.
    The carbs have been rebuilt and it ran so so (not at 100%, some backfire, no fuel leak). I also replaced the airfilter box with cone filters. I have been told that I now have to rejet. I want to try and do as much myself and not take it to someone. The big question is what is causing fuel to come out of the air tubes. When I start it and try to adjust the carbs to the best of my ability it floods out. Almost at my wits end.
    Rich

Did you beat on the carb bowls with something. ( soft and hard)
    Frequently, the floats hang up on the gaskets (they sometimes protrude into the chamber) or the sides of the bowls. Many threads on here about the same problem. Did you check the float levels on the bench? Threads about that too.
    Also, did you limit the drop of the floats to a minimal level?
    Here it comes...... Thread about that here too
    Yes you will need to rejet to richer for pod filters.
    HTH
    John
    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
    '78 CB750F ( The F)
    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
    Then: '76 CB550K
    '78 CB750F
    '84 VF1100S
    And still Looking!

Comment

Check to see if your oil smells like gas and if your crank case seems over full. A lot of the time when this happens gas seeps past the rings and fills the case. Not a good thing to say the least...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Carb Leak -

One more thing to try -
        I had a similar problem with my '79 carbs... after rebuild kits, float level adjustements, etc., I would still get an overflow from #4. After "bench testing" with water,I found that it only overflowed when the bowl was installed and a seal was formed.
        After playing with it for hours, I finally found that the atmosphere vent on #4 was clogged up.... without a means of escape, air pressure would build up and cancel out the buoyant force of the float, fuel inflow would never completely stop = overflow of fuel out of the carb intake and into my airbox. To check this - remove float bowl, allow your float to drop, and blow into the air vent line (the rubber line above the fuel line).If you can't get air through there, the "T" fitting is clogged up...
        79 XS Standard (The Beast)

06 Triumph Daytona 675 (The Beauty)

Comment

Working...
        X