Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way do the emulsion tubes come out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way do the emulsion tubes come out?

Do I tap them up from the bowl side into the neck, or down from the neck into the bowl. These suckers are pretty jammed and don't want to come out easy. So I will have to tap them pretty hard. I want to make sure I'm going the right way....

The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Tap from the bowl side out into the neck of the carb. You'll need to remove the tops and slides if you haven't already.....
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

They are disassembled except for the emulsion tubes. I haven't decided if I am going to separate the rack. Thanks for the help.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

They look in rough shape you might want to take them completely apart and soak them in some cleaner . Replace the butterfly seals while you're at it.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I am thinking I am going to soak them, Tinamn, but I was going to soak them in Yamaha Carb cleaner. I've been told that stuff doesn't harm rubber seals. The last time I tried to replace my butterfly seals all I succeeded in doing was stripping a bunch of those little screws that hold the butterflies in.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

If the tubes are stuck, try a 1/4" wood dowel as a punch to drive them out but don't be too aggressive.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

One tip to removing the tubes is once the main jet and washer have been removed, thread the main jet back in a couple of turns, and while the screwdriver is still engaged with the slot on the jet, give the end of the screwdriver handle a couple of shap blows. That will help to break the corrosion seal around the alignment pin that sits just below the threads for the main jet. Soaking in a good penetrant won't hurt either. Like Geezer said, use a wooden tool, a dowel, or my favorite, a pencil, to drive the tube out. Don't use anything metal to drive it out, that will ruin the threads in the tube where the main jet screws in.

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
                I am thinking I am going to soak them, Tinamn, but I was going to soak them in Yamaha Carb cleaner. I've been told that stuff doesn't harm rubber seals. The last time I tried to replace my butterfly seals all I succeeded in doing was stripping a bunch of those little screws that hold the butterflies in.

Patrick
                Those little screws are staked from the back side. A dremel to remove it helps immensely, then remember to stake them again when re assembling.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

There is also a brass pin near the jet end that helps align the emulsion tube. Some aggressive hammering without looking for it will shear it off. Don't ask how I know.

Darrell
                  Darrell
                  78E
                  80G project
                  06FJR

Comment

They look pretty nasty,
                    I think you might struggle with them if you dont replace the butterfly seals.

Ive never had a problem removing butterfly screws
                    if you undo them like you would use a tap and die, quarter turn at a time
                    then back again, dont let the bolt get to hot and use a penetrating oil, i also use a perfect fitting phillips driver and start with a wack with the hammer to the bolt to break any seal. I also use locktite putting them back together.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                      They look pretty nasty,
                      I think you might struggle with them if you dont replace the butterfly seals.

Ive never had a problem removing butterfly screws
                      if you undo them like you would use a tap and die, quarter turn at a time
                      then back again, dont let the bolt get to hot and use a penetrating oil, i also use a perfect fitting phillips driver and start with a wack with the hammer to the bolt to break any seal. I also use locktite putting them back together.
                      The perfect fitting screw driver is actually called a JIS (Japaneese Industrial Standard) and they are just different enough that a phillips will not grip right. But your suggestion also bears the solution. A good whack with a hammer on the end of the screw driver not only jars the thread loose, it also "drop forges" the screw to fit a phillips driver. Probably better than regular phillips screws. I always grind the backs off the screws. Working on QJets, the damn things ran a risk of breaking the head off the screw, and that got to be a real pain in the throttle.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                      X