Just got a new XS :-)....No Keys for it :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a new XS :-)....No Keys for it :-(

I just helped my best friend secure a 1980 Special but the PO had it in storage and couldnt find the Keys. We noticed the 4 digit number on the tank and ignition. Is this something that can be referenced to order new keys from Yammy? Also would it be cheaper for a locksmith to re-key the thing or is that even possible?

Thanks,
    Scott
    1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
    dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
    MikesXs 35k Coils
    8mm plug wires
    42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
    (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
    Kerker 4-into-1
    Shaved emblems
    Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
    Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
    Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
    Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
    Custom Dual Headlights
    Lots of time and hard work.

I took my ignition switch to the local dealer, and they used the number to make a new key. I'm glad I took the actual switch, since the first key they cut didn't work. It cost about $18 for one key, IIRC. It's a lot more expensive to have a locksmith to make a key without the key code (I was told over $30/key)
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks! Do you have one single key for ignition and gas cap? My 79SF has two different keys but I'm not sure if thats normal.

Thanks,
      Scott
      1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
      dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
      MikesXs 35k Coils
      8mm plug wires
      42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
      (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
      Kerker 4-into-1
      Shaved emblems
      Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
      Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
      Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
      Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
      Custom Dual Headlights
      Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

Usually, it's one single key for the Ignition, Gas cap, Helmet lock and left side cover. If a PO has changed the gas tank/cap or the ignition switch, then you're stuck with multiple keys. Of course, you could have them re-keyed to match if you wanted to.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

+1 Remove Ignition lock cylinder

If both nuimbers match, ignition and tank, then one key will work for both. I removed the ignition switch and took to a local locksmith, less than 20 minutes later and $15.00 lighter, I had 2 new, working keys. Of course, that was over 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Da-Bubble View Post
            I just helped my best friend secure a 1980 Special but the PO had it in storage and couldnt find the Keys. We noticed the 4 digit number on the tank and ignition. Is this something that can be referenced to order new keys from Yammy? Also would it be cheaper for a locksmith to re-key the thing or is that even possible?

Thanks,
            Scott
            There are some websites that you can give the 4 digit code to and they might have your key or be able to cut you one. Also try e-bay. Every so often you can find one with the proper key code. I was lucky and found a couple of keys for under $10.00. That was almost a year ago.

Hope that helps,
            Ozz
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
            X