What are these wires for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these wires for?

There are four wires running from the front brake master cylinder on my new XS11 project bike. Two are the usual brake light connections. The other two are a hot connection and a ground that come from the bottom of the reservoir. Clearly this is not stock (although it is from a Yamaha as the reservoir cap attests) and since I don't know what it came off of I don't know how I would rebuild it (frozen as a stone monument), but I am curious what those additional wires could be for. There are also two orphan female bullet connection in the headlight bucket, one hot one not, that I figure these wires hooked up to. There are no unexplained gauges or idiot lights or anything, however. so if this was some kind of reservoir fluid level monitor or something I don't know how it passed its message along.

Anybody know what those wires might be for? Power brakes?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Good chance it is for a fluid level sensor. The XJ has that in the rear MC.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

And Patrick,

Those 2 wires in the headlight are for accessory lights, fairing hookup, etc., don't bother using them.

The microfiche for the XJ front MC only shows 2 wires, not four, but on YOUR MC, sounds like a good guess for fluid level checker, the other 2 you said are the brake light switch.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X