1980 1100 Midnight Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 1100 Midnight Seat

I just bought a midnight and it has an aftermarket seat on it. Does anyone know what yamaha seats will fit like the 850s or other years?
    09 Venture
    03 Nomad
    82 650 Maxim
    80 1100 Midnight

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another MNS on the road. The MNS is just a "Special" with a few cosmetic additions. If you find a seat from any of the Specials, I believe it will fit. They have the bolts on either side of the pillion portion of the seat that hand down through the slots in the frame. A nut screws onto that bolt and holds down the seat. The only difference is that the MNS seat cover uses double topstitching across the vinyl for aesthetics.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I also just got a Midnight Special !

Originally posted by spoilt38 View Post
      I just bought a midnight and it has an aftermarket seat on it. Does anyone know what yamaha seats will fit like the 850s or other years?
      I'm looking for a seat as well, will a standard seat from an earlier model XS11 work?

Here is a photo of my midnight special:

My wife always wanted a sissy bar so I got her one.
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another MNS on the road...
        This '81 MNS is actually my second one. I bought a "79 XS11 Special new in 1979 so picking up this nice example is reliving my childhood so to speak.

And maybe more-so, this "excess 11" has been built, bigger carbs, headwork, stainless steel tuned SuperTrapp exhaust system. This bike rocks, probably the hardest accelerating bike I have ever ridden.

I can"t imagine an XS11 as a "starter bike", good luck to spoilt38 the topic starter.

~ Doug
        Last edited by Mad Dog Doug; 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM. Reason: attribution to spoilt38
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

Comment

Trade or Sell?

Got a photo of the seat? Wanna trade or sell it? My seat is patched in one spot with gaffers tape. I want to replace it with an earlier style seat or aftermarket seat that is not stepped (i.e. "king and queen").

What ya got?

~ Doug
          Last edited by Mad Dog Doug; 08-16-2009, 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

A standard seat will not work on a special.
            I have an great looking 80 standard seat,and I wanted to put it on the special
            I sold a few months back,but it would not fit.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I would trade but I dont think your going to want it. Ill get a photo up today. I love the windshield mad dog what is it.
              09 Venture
              03 Nomad
              82 650 Maxim
              80 1100 Midnight

Comment

Windscreen

I would trade but I dont think your going to want it. Ill get a photo up today. I love the windshield mad dog what is it.
                If the seat base is for a special and is in reasonable shape I'm interested just to get it re-covered.

The windshield was new according to the guy I got the bike from.

It's a "TC Deuce" from:

Memphis Shades
                P.O. Box 24
                Collierville, TN 38017

~ Doug

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                  A standard seat will not work on a special...
                  Thanks, I was afraid of that. I almost bought one on eBay.

Comment

Sorry I took sooooo long but photobucket kept locking me up
                    09 Venture
                    03 Nomad
                    82 650 Maxim
                    80 1100 Midnight

Comment

Nice! YOu can take that seat and have it re-covered. No need to buy a new one. That is a nice bike though!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey CatBug I went to your web site, excellent! Great resource for XS11 owners. Thank you !

The previous owner of my bike said that the transmission gears had been "undercut" I presume that is the mod you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Dog Doug View Post
                          Hey CatBug I went to your web site, excellent! Great resource for XS11 owners. Thank you !

The previous owner of my bike said that the transmission gears had been "undercut" I presume that is the mod you mentioned.
                          Glad I could help. Yes, the "undercutting" of the gears is the "2nd gear fix" that you'll hear about quite often on here. Good to know it's already been done for you!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I think the pan is original, it has the fuel line label on it. The foam is shot though so anyone know where to get it and a cover? About the bike it runs great has just under 20000 on it. Everything seems to work but one petcock has a drip when it off and most of the rubber straps that hold relays and such are broke. Paint is fair the body is very good the gold is fair at best the black chrome is pretty good. Didn't know anything about xs1100 when I bought it but I have learned alot here. With your help I hope to restore it. Thank
                            09 Venture
                            03 Nomad
                            82 650 Maxim
                            80 1100 Midnight

Comment

Any uphostery shop could remanufacture a piece of foam for you, and might even be able to make a suitable seat cover. There are lots of places to get seat covers from though. They are all over the internet. Try a search for seat covers.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X