Headlight Source for Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Source for Standards

Where do you find the rectangle headlights for standards?
    My heros have always been flat trackers.

what part do you need the whole thing or just the glass ????
    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

I need the headlamp. From what I can tell the glass, lamp assembly and bulb are one sealed item.

I thought I could just go to the auto parts store and buy a rectangular headlight like I did for the round headlight on my XS650, but this one has brackets on the back side for adjusting the beam.

BikeBandit and other places don't have them. Surely someone has had to replace their headlight

Comment

i have a glass housing and chrome trim it has a h-3 replaceable bulb and the 2 screws for the glass housing send me your email and i will send pictures mxmikie@yahoo.com

Comment

they have new ones on mikesxs.com i thin kthey are about 30 bucks or so. they don't have a chrome ring around the bulb though they are black.
          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
          xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
          8mm msd wires
          tkat fork brace...
          Fox shocks...
          mikes650 front fender
          led's gallore...
          renthal bars
          gold valve emulators
          vmax tensioner
          Rifle fairing

Comment

cool glad you found one

Comment

Yamahansolo,

It that part no. 09-0027?

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products

I used that one on my stolen street tracker. How close is it for a replacement on an XS1100E?

MXMike,

I sent you an email.

Comment

it's the same except for the rim is black and the xs is chrome but the bucket is black on the xs just like that. the bucket looks identical to both of mine.
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Hmmmmm Yamahansolo,

A couple of more question for you...if you don't mind hanging with me on this one.

I didn't have the chance to ride my tracker at night to see how well the MikesXS light worked. Does it produce enough light to keep up at highway speeds? Here is a good benchmark...would you say the MikesXS light works better, about the same. or worse than the stock light?

Also, could a person take the MikesXS light out and use it in the stock chrome ring?

MXMike,

Still waiting on your email If possible, how about posting your pictures here so everyone can see? If not, I can upload them after you send them to me. Readers also might be interested in knowing the cost and where you got that glass chrome ringed replacement. I am for sure

Thanks to both of you!

Comment

my light had issues because i used skids rlu bypass and it was making my low beam come on with the high beam and it seemed to be weaker. but when i fixed it now it's much brighter. the one from mikes glass looks just like mine. it has almost a v shape in the middle of the lens. the only problem i have found is if the dim is aimed too low it puts that slanted shape on the road so the middle of your light pattern is closer and the sides are further away... does that make sense.

honestly i have been only riding a little over 5 years. i have owned in this order, 91 zx7 ninja, 79 xs750 speacial, 82 gpz 750 (5x7 bulb) i modified the light to accept one of the new 5x7's from pep boys didn't notice a diff though it just looked more modern..., 98 yzf600r, 85 vmax, 86 raidan it had a 4x6 light or so. it was smaller than the xs light, then i got an 82 xj11, and finally i got my 79 standard. all of these bikes i have owned while working night shift.

what i have learned ... motorcycle lights suck at night. i did have a nokya h4 hyper white bulb that was = 100 watts or so. it was amazing but it was about 30 bucks for the set. but it started putting the high beam up in the trees... now i know why. when i bypassed the rlu like i said both beams were on it warped the h4 glass and it had a bubble in front of the relector on the glass.
                    i now have a phillips motovision bulb. 19 bucks at pep boys, it worked pretty good with the rlu being bypassed wrong, but it switched it out for a sylvania until i fixed the rlu. now i put it back and i had hoped to ride fri night to work but when i went out to hop on i saw my back tire was mostly cord so hopefully it'll stop raining long enough for me to ride.

i will say most of the lights sucked. the rectangle buckets seem to give you a wider spread though, the 600r really sucked! awesome bike though.
                    buy a cheap set of fog lights for 15 bucks and aim them out to the sides a little to look for oncoming dear. or possums

79 xs11 standard
                    8mm msd wires
                    tkat fork brace...
                    Fox shocks...
                    mikes650 front fender
                    led's gallore...
                    renthal bars
                    gold valve emulators
                    vmax tensioner
                    Rifle fairing

Comment

Hey Chris,

I just posted in the other headlight thread about the MikesXS rectangular unit. I was wondering if it had replaceable bulb design, but it sounds like from what you've said about using that one, that you were able to switch out different style H-4 bulbs in it , is that correct?

Masher,

I did a clear lens conversion on my ROUND headlight, put in a decent bright sylvannia type bulb, but still didn't seem enough at night. Then I got a set of Pilot/Walmart brand H3 driving lights, they are either 35 or 55 watts, can't recall right now, but they provide much more illumination of the road, far and wide! I've done the LED conversion for my running/brake/tail/turn signals, along with my gauge lights, license lights, to provide the extra amps for the extra driving lights!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If Im understanding these two headlight threads.....There is no replacement square light availiable for these bikes? That sure puts a different light on trips out of town.
                        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Top Cat,

That looks like some serious candle power

I'm on my way to Pep Boys today to look a some conversion units. I think they carry the JC Whitney kits you linked on your other post. I'm exploring a process to easily remove the brackets from the OEM unit and mount them on the conversion kit.

Comment

*editted above photo link, and below, trying to DIRECT LINK/display vs. the thumbnail/link*

Well, that little red X tells you that Webshots doesn't allow DIRECT Linking to the original photo in a forum, hence the thumbnail and url link! T.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X