Signals Don't blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signals Don't blink

My siganls just get brighter when I turn the switch on but they don't blink any ideas?

There's a thread about the wattage in here. Don't remember just what it said but it had something to do with them not blinking. Do a search. I believe that is your problem.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Let me be the first! Clean the grounds. I found those inside the headlight bucket were the trouble with mine.
      You also want to pull the bulbs out and make sure the socket and bulbs have clean contacts.
      If that fails you can go to the handlebar switch for cleaning and ground.
      If I've advanced far enough in my XS11 knowledge, after that it is likely a voltage issue to your flasher/relay.
      I found a little bit of work went a long way with the blinkers.
      You can do it!
      Bothell, WA
      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Blinkers

I checked the grounds and voltage, grounds are clean now and voltage is dead were it is supposed to be according to the book. I was told that it might be a bad turn signal relay but don't have the 135 for a new one. Maybe there is a car relay that will work in its place.

Comment

Check Ebay.
          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I've searched and couldn't find an automotive relay that will work and keep the self cancel function. I ended up buying a two prong auto flasher - electronic so I can go to LED's as the bulbs burn out. It was about 10 bucks.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

WraithKnight,

The stock flashers are a design that uses heat to break the circuit & make them flash. New ones are electronic, and common. Stock ones are expensive, and rarer.

Even if everything's ok, most times xs11's won't produce enough voltage at idle to make them flash... but should if the rpm's are brought up some.
              Just rev it up some, if they start flashing, it's normal.

If they don't, I'd try a new electronic flasher, but you will lose the auto-cancelling feature. Voltage isn't such an issue with an electronic as it is with the stock ones. Plus, you're setup for LED swapouts.

If no luck, go back through connections.

But, I will say, I recently had a problem with one side flashing on my XJ and one side not... then , a few days later, I began to notice the lights getting dim then bright... turned out to be a bad stator. So you never know.
              But, I'd start w/ the easy & simple... and progress from there.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

If all the connections are good, you might double-check ALL the blinker bulbs too. The fact that they don't blink is a warning feature that tells you when a bulb is dead. You mentioned that your bulb gets "brighter" when you hit the signal. That tells me you are using dual-filament bulbs?? Be sure both filaments are good. If the blinker filament is bad, none of them will flash.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                X