speedometer help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer help please

I bought a 160 speedometer off of fleabay that was supposed to have come from an 79 XS1100. When I installed it on my 80 XS1100 special it is innaccurate. At 25mph it reads ~22mph. At 53mph it reads ~ 45mph and so on.
    My question is is it possible the meter was on a bike with 18" wheel and mine is a 19" if this is the problem any easy way to rectify?

I also have a 120mph and when that was on it it appeared to be right. I think that the orignal 85mph was right also.
    Thanks,
    George
    1980 XS1100 special
    4 to 1 Kerker exhaust
    120 mph speedo.
    1979 carbs jetted 147 mains
    47 idle

1980 XJ 650

Don't know for sure if that is your problem but a larger TIRE size will equate to lower reading. IE- you will be going faster than the speedo says. This is true for the front tire only. Rim size does not count, only the total circumference on the tire. If you decide to get rid of the speedo, PM me.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

If it came form an XS it should be 19" wheel IIRC. Fred is old enough to remember every year they were made.

I can tell you mine has the stock speedo and original AFAIK. I know for certain it is off by at least 5 MPH at about 60-80 MPH range. At least it reads that much lower than EGleaves speedo at the same rate of travel. Besides, on an XS11 the speedo should simply say "Just twist the dang thing!!"
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The problem with mechanical speedometers is they rely on spring tension against a spinning magnet. Over the years, the spring looses springiness. so you will be hard pressed to find a speedo that is accurate, unless it is an aftermarket new piece.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

How are you making the comparison? Someone else riding beside you, or GPS?

As they've said, I agree... most XS/XJ speedos I've been around read about 5 fast of actual speed.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
          X