Rear drive fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear drive fluid?

I need to pick up fluid for the rear main drive but my manual is not handy. Can anyone give me the quick version of brand and weight gear lube to use in my 79 XS11 Special ?

Thanks, Dave
    Lead, follow or get out of the way!

79XS11 Special

Pretty much anything that says "GL-5" or better on it. GL means Gear Lube and the -4 -5 -6 etc is just the API standard it meets. 80w90 is the standard viscosity, but some synthetics are getting more of a spread like 65w120 and such. Same thing goes in your middle drive, so don't forget to top it off at the same time.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Agree with Ivan. I would go with the synthetics if you do much driving in places like TEXAS. The heat works mechanical items over.
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

This is the stuff I use.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
        X