Need help with signal lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with signal lights

I have the right front and back left lights not operating. The other two work but do not flash (normal indication of fried bulb). Removed offending bulbs and tested good. The rear both had 2 pole single element bulbs and front had 3 pole dual element bulbs. I have extra signals (not sure what year or model) but all 4 are like the rear units on bike. Appears in manual that all 4 should be the same??? Would really like to get bike inspected today. Any info would help.

Pic of front
    http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=01010014.jpg

Pic of back with ground strap???
    http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=01010018.jpg
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

what do you mean by 2 pole and 3 pole? I've never seen a twist in style bulb with more then two contacts on the bottom....

On my special the front signals take a standard (1056 I think) bulb with just one contact on the bottom, the rear's take the same. Is it possible the PO switched put the wrong bulbs in those two signals? Try taking the working bulb on the front and putting it on the other side, does it make the left side signals work? Then put it back and switch the working bulb in the rear to the right side, do the right side signals work then? If they do then go get what ever type bulbs those are and replace in the left side, if not then you've got a wiring issue. Make sense?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

It is really weird as you may not be able to see in the pics. The front siginals are totally different from the rear. The body is one pole (contact). On the front the signals use a bulb with two contacts on bottom + body (3 pole) but the rear uses single contact on bottom + body (2 pole). The front has dual element like the ones for brake lights. Could be running lights + signals?? It has me stumped. Never seen anything but single element used for signal lights
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

The two pole lamp is called a 1156, which is a single filament bulb. the three pole is an 1157, which is a dual filament. Look inside your receptacles to make sure you have the same number of contacts in the socket, and have the right bulb. Some of these bikes had running lights (dual filament) some did not and used single filament.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

The fronts are supposed to be dual-element lamps (turn/running), the rears single (turn only). This is how they come from the factory. What a PO may have done is anybodys guess.

Are turn signals required in your state? They're not here (Washington), so you may be worrying about nothing....

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Ivan and Steve,

I got them to work by cleaning the contacts but they act funny. Offbeat flashing and short duration sometimes and sometimes not. This is on the stand without moving anything else. Could it be the wattage problem I read elsewhere? Bad contacts at flasher unit? Other?
            BTW how'ya doing Ivan?
            Original except:

Big John

Comment

Yeah, all original equipment has to operate correctly. As if any cage operators paid any attention or knew what they (signals) were for.
              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                As if any cage operators paid any attention or knew what they (signals) were for.
                Ain't that the truth....

As to the erratic operation, sounds like some bad connections; I'd check/clean the grounds i.e. attachment points first.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

My signals Are acting funny.

My signals Work on front and back, but when I hit my left turn signal they just get brighter on that side, but don't blink. Same thing with the right side, Right switch those bulbs get brighter but don't blink. Any Ideas what I should check?

Comment

Originally posted by WraithKnight View Post
                    My signals Work on front and back, but when I hit my left turn signal they just get brighter on that side, but don't blink. Same thing with the right side, Right switch those bulbs get brighter but don't blink. Any Ideas what I should check?
                    Sounds like either the wrong wattage lamps ('standard' 22w vs OEM-type 27w) or a bad flasher.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                    X