• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right on, Greg ...

Good report ... simple fix, eh?
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Hey Greg,

That is a bit odd that they would have worked loose!?

Those nuts are only torqued to 7 ft/lbs BTW! And remember, the studs are in ALUMINUM, and so can easily rip out if overtorqued! They or are supposed to have lock washers under the nuts, if yours are missing, then there you go!? Congrats on a critical find BEFORE it grenaded!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ya, it was a quick fix and a really lucky find to catch it early enough before catastrophy. I can't imagine why they came loose. I changed the flat washers under the mounting nuts to lock washers and retorqued them. Nice and quiet now. Hope they stay.

One other problem though, I broke the #^$*ing valve cover when I put it back together.

Oh well, such is life. I've got another one ordered but epoxy will have to do for now.

Hey! Anyone know how to fix a tach that jumps all over the place? Not really important, but it's irritating.

Comment

Missing your right Nut??!

Good Find!!

I once had some work done on another bike I owned. (I should never have let someone else do what I myself could have done..) When I got it back from the shop I heard something "off" in the upper valve train. When I pulled off the valve cover I found the original screws to the tops of my carbs sitting inside. They had been mangled by the valve springs. New screws were in the carb tops. (Grrrr!!!)

I've got one valve that makes noise: #1 cylinder. The noise isn't enough to be scary but when I was in Arizona, the noise got louder and louder as I sat there in the heat waiting for the light to change. The bike originally came to me after a number of people tried different "fixes" to correct a "rough running" situation which I found out was a bad spark plug cap connection. (On #1 cylinder of course...) It looks like someone did remove the valve cover before and I suspect I'll find something similar to what you found when you boldly went where someone had gone before.

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Oh yeah good find! I hope that the threads to the stud or nut were not stripped to cause that. If so, I am sure you would have realized that when you tried to retorque it on reinstall.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X