allen bolt removal from inside left side engine cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allen bolt removal from inside left side engine cover

I am having near impossible allen bolt removal from the middle of the plate inside the left hand cover.not an outside bolt but the inner one the book says hold the timing plate then remove allen bolt.Ha anyone got a way to get it out other than arm strength? I know this sounds petty but,It just does not want to give.It's not rusted or anything just doggone tight!

Have you tried holding the timing plate with a 19mm wrench? An allen key socket on a ratchet should do the job. If that doesn't do it, you can put the tranny in gear, block the wheel with a 2x4 and crack that bolt. BTW, make sure you use the proper size allen key socket, 6mm.

Comment

How about some PB Blaster? or an allen socket on a breaker bar?
      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Allen bolt removal

Thanks guys i don't know what I would do without this forum.I have a manual.very little knowledge of true mechanics.But.with these wonderful machines xs1100's It is worth it to go slow and repair them properly,AND ask dumb questions once in a while I purchased a hex rachet set hopefully it comes off easy.The thing is my pickup coil wires are now totally useless after my fix.Don't get me wrong the fix per this forum worked fine.It's just time to start with fresh wire from the rubber dohinky behind the timing plate.Another question.My bike has a 23degree timing setup and it runs a touch lean.That said it does sound fine in all gears and runs super in all weather.The book clymers says 33degress wow what a difference I thought! but come to find out my carbs are something outa 30years ago but unidentifiable.unmarked.Thanks for the help and encouragement. 1979xs1100sf fork brace steel braided brake lines 4-1 kerker exhaust spade fuse block kn pods eliteII tires

Comment

Hey Cy,
          When u get it apart, will be a good time to
          check the pick up coil gap.
          Good luck with it.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X