Is my ignition switch rebuildable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my ignition switch rebuildable?

AS I dig into my latest XS11 project, I immediately ran into an issue. What a shock.

BTW, I am approaching this as if I had never done one of these before. So pardon me in advance if I ask stupid questions.

I hooked up my jumper battery and I have juice over all four fuses. The main fuse box is a bit rusty (I have a replacement, but I'm trying to find out what works before I yank the wire harness). I have 13 volts over the main fuse. At the red wire from the ignition into the headlight bucket, though, I am reading only 11.6 volts. I believe this signifies that I am losing 1.5 volts to the ancient ignition switch. Can this be rebuilt? Or do I just have to replace it?

Back to the wires. The starter turns the motor, but I have no spark. I do, however, have enough ferrite to build several rather large magnets.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

I've done it many times. You can lap the surface of the contact plate on a sheet of fine sandpaper taped down to a sheet of glass. Or use a file if you're very careful. Be sure and pack it with dielectric grease when you're done...

One more thing, about half the time the plug and terminals will need to be replaced.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks, Tony. Oh, BTW, the bike I'm working on, the three bikes I just bought (one titled, two parts bikes), I bought them from a guy named Frank in Round Rock. He said he's from Oregon and you've got a picture of his XS750 on your website. He wanted me to tell you.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Wow, small world. I used to work with him at Mikeysoft tech support. One day I saw an ad from him on a local news group looking for a cheap and bike. I replied and offered to help. A few months later I had a garage full of XS11s.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X