No announcement yet.

Black plugs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rebuild kits I got are from APCO Auto Parts, Anyone heard of these? I still have the original mains and they are in good shape I just put the new ones in cause they were new. I haven't had time this week to pull them but i think tmrw is the day cause we are riding on Saturday. I plan on lowering the float level and backing the mixture screws out to 2 turns instead of 2 1/2 but I thought with pods you should be running them at 2 1/2? my filters are blamk I cannot find a brand name on them anywhere, that could be a bad sign.
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

does anyone think this might have something to do with my hanging idle? when I get to a stop the idle stays high for about 45 seconds before it starts to come down.
      1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

Out of sync carbs can hang, and yes, the mixture/jetting can as well. There is no set number of turns for the mixture screws with a particular modification. With experience you will notice a correlation between the pilot jet size and the number of turns out, but it isn't specific. The book tells you to start at 1.5 turns out, and adjust from there, but again, if your jetting isn't right you're whistling in the wind. The only tool I know of that will tell you for sure if your jetting is right is a colortune - and it will tell you quickly. The jetting recommendations in the tech tips are pretty accurate, assuming you are using the right parts (most notably genuine mikuni jets). Never heard of the kits you mentioned, but I know George Fix sells some really good ones on ebay. Since you've already installed the other kits, my advice is to order the correct jets from Mikes XS ($6 per pair). My guess is that 145 mains and 45 pilots should be about right. After they're installed, set your mixture screws to 1.5 turns out, and synchronize them. The sync is critical, so if you don't have a sync gauge you'll need to get or borrow one. Some members seem to think the sync is optional, and it's not. It has to be done for the carbs to work properly.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X