Installing Standard Length Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Standard Length Grips

My '79 Special had shorty grips on it, and I didn't much care for them. So I opted for some new grips. It turns out that most of the grips out there are about an inch longer than the XS's throttle tube . Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the throttle tube looked a lot like the one from my '07 FJR

The one on the left is from the XS, the right one is the FJR push pull. Notice that the pull side is almost identical.

You can see that the FJR tube on the top is longer than the XS tube on the bottom. The copper pipe was a shim I was using to allow me to run the longer grips with the XS tube. Its no longer needed.

The installation of the FJR tube is just like the XS. Everything works well and I can now run any standard length 7/8" grips You do need to slide the controls inward a bit more to make up for the extra length of the throttle tube.

Even my dog agrees that those gel grips look nice on there

The throttle tube is off a Gen 2 FJR (2006-2009) however the Gen 1 (2003-2005) may work as well.

The bar ends can be gotten from Lockhart Phillips.

Enjoy
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Good tip there, I'll have to try it. I too run the longer grips with a spacer in the end.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
    X