A little confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little confused

Had a wierd thing happen the other day, and can't see to track down what actually happened.

Had a meeting to go to in the evening, got there before dark and didn't get done till after dark. Went out to get on the bike and head home, started up, and no headlight, no dash lights. After spending about 15-0 minutes I gave up and got a ride home as I was at a location where the bike would be secure overnight.

The next day at lunch time I got a ride over to the location to pick up the bike, figured that worste case was I might get a fixit ticket for the headlight on the way home (actually to work then home, both before dark). Well, got on, started the bike, and headed off to work. Got to the first light, was behind a clean shiney car, and could see that the headlight was on!!! When I came home last night, the headlight (and of course dash lights) were working fine. Same with this morning. I can't for the life of me figure out how this would happen (never a hint of trouble with the light system before this, and so far no more hint of trouble), and I'm very nervous about anything that self heals.

It was almost like the charging system was not working, but the tach was working fine and the lights got brighter coming off idle like normal. As for cleaning the connectors, when going through the wiring the first time around I found virtually no corrosion at all (love this Central Valley climate, no salt, little moisture etc) other than the fuse box which I have replaced with the replacement available on here.

I had figured that I had a problem with the headlight relay or so, and figured I'd have to break things down a bit when I got the bike home, but it's a little hard in my experience to troubleshoot a problem that isn't happening anymore. Any suggestions as to where to look on this?

Thanks in advance for letting me quietly vent on this, it's really got me questioning what to do.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Had the same problem.
    It was the headlight relay.

I jimmied it apart and found that the white wire inside was soldered poorly and came off. it would work sometimes, sometimes not.

Anyway, I resoldered it and it has been working fine since, about 2 seasons, I guess.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

I had something similar,
      mine was a loose wire in the switch,
      if it does it again, wiggle the wires near the light switch,
      as os said check the relay also.
      When my did it I was able to hold down the pass button and ride
      on high beam to get me home again.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X