Horns dont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horns dont work

I recently bought my XS11 Special and the horns don't work. I have power to the horns but they just "clunk" when I hit the button. Does this mean that they are toast? Or, am I missing something? Would appreciate any input. Thnx,

Sounds like it... unless another member knows a way to get them loosened up again that I don't, it's time for new ones...

But word of advice... here's what I found when I replaced mine recently...

Bought a pair rated at 128 db....at O'Reilly's, $20 (Auto type... I figured "What's the difference?" Famous last words... LOL

This is what I learned the hard way... they came with a mounting bracket that goes from the center GROUND bolt with a connector that attaches to the same post. Now, Yamaha has run the positive 12v. straight to these horns... and the negative ground is the switchleg...

So I had to figure out how and where to mount these things... had to attach to something non-grounded or conductive... and still clear the forks when they turn... (No small feat there! These things take up a lot of territory!)

So for me to keep them, I mounted them down low to the inside of the fairing
    aimed forward & down. But they were kinda loud there... Thank goodness I wear ear buds for my Mp3 player inside my helmet when I ride...

I did try to mount them to the frame in the original spot by insulating everything w/ rubber... but no matter what I did to isolate them... some ground action would get through... usually when I applied the front brake!
    The forks would move down, and they'd go off... (insert mental picture now...!)

But after I quickly looked around to see if anybody noticed & before I got laughed at too much, I decided to move them back to the fairing until I can find the PROPER type of MOTORCYCLE horns... HeHe...

And now you know the rest of the story...

The moral of the story... buy the right dang horns to start with & save yourself the embaressment, as well as your hearing.
    Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Welcome to the forum.The horns energize when you press the button and complete the circuit to ground.Turn on the key and you should have 12 volts at the horns.If it's low check connectors.Clean them and apply dialectic grease.Also clean and check the connections from the horns to the button.Just a note even if you have 12 volts at the horns you could still have a bad connection between the battery and the horns.You can check the voltage while pressing the button.One side of the horn should stay at 12 volts and the other side should read aprox 0 volts.Good luck.

Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Had a friend that had a bumper sticker that he put on his cage when his relay burnt up.

Said "Horn broke - Watch for finger"

Oh, Welcome to the forum.
        Last edited by latexeses; 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I will also add...

I've noticed that most of the time the bike needs to be running to produce enough voltage to the horns to make them work...FWIW...

Welcome to the forum, and wish you good luck!
          Ride Safe.
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by David E Clavel View Post
            I recently bought my XS11 Special and the horns don't work. I have power to the horns but they just "clunk" when I hit the button. Does this mean that they are toast? Or, am I missing something? Would appreciate any input. Thnx,
            Hi David and welcome,
            You don't say your bike won't start so I'm presuming your battery is OK.
            Cleaning the horn button internals might help and the horns do have little adjustment screws on them and fiddling with those might get a beep out of them.
            BUT
            those horns were feeble pathetic-sounding things when they were new and over the years they have not gotten any better.
            If you want horns that meet the legal requirement to actually have a horn, if the stockers are working, they'll do for that.
            If you want a horn that some dozy car driver can actually hear while he's yabbling into his cell-phone instead of watching the traffic, you gotta upgrade.
            I have a Stebel-Nautilus air horn. 139 Decibels. It'll wake the dead (well, at least it'll arouse the comatose) The horn needs a relay to run it. The relay and a wiring diagram come in the box along with the horn.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Adjustment Screws

I had the same problem with my 82 XJ after I had stored it for 6 years. I played around with the adjustment screws for awhile and eventually got both horns going again. I think I backed them off until they made some noise and then tightened back up until they sounded decent.

Comment

horns

I have the same problem on almost every bike I get.
                I take the front nut all the way off, spray wd40 on horn, and then blow out with air hose.
                I put back together, and by adjusting the tightness of the nut and screw on side, 9 times out of ten they work again. Also when the work it is good to blow horn frequently to keep loosened up.

Comment

If you look on the back of the horn, you should see a bolt with a locknut on it. Loosen the locknut, and back the screw out, then hold the horn button (key on) and turn that screw in. You should find a spot where the horn works.

If not then the horn is toast as the connection inside has corroded too far.

This is easiest to test using some jumper cables with alligator clips off your car battery.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Wow! 2 new guys in one thread! I think the problems with the horns have been addressed already, so I'll just hope that it works out for you. I just wanted to welcome both of the new guys to the forum! Let's see some pictures from you!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome and amen to all who have said a little oil and working with the adjustment screws. I like TriFlow.
                      It would be nice to have a train airhorn at times!
                      Bothell, WA
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                      X