exhaust bolts, can you blue thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust bolts, can you blue thread?

the temperature switch unbolts the headers pretty often, is there a proper assembling or is it just the halen in the tool set for life

but would blue thread work?
    82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
    No longer active member.

Hey Greg,

Whatcha been drinking?? That was a fairly cryptic post!

However, I think I figured out what you were saying, that your header nuts...or are you using actual bolts, are working themselves loose due to the temp changes from cool to running and back to cool again, etc.!

Red thread lock is designed for header studs and can hold up to the heat better than blue. However, if you're using the nuts, once the headers are tightened down to the point of crushing the exhaust gaskets, then there should be enough tension to keep them from backing out or loosening, provided the rest of the pipes are hung and supported properly. I've seen a few sets where folks just have short headers and straight pipes and have it all hanging on with just the header nuts!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You need to snug the exhaust nuts down when the bike is warm. If you do it cold, they will rattle loose. Just don't strong arm them when warm, or they can pull things apart when they cool down. Since a steel stud has a higher tensile strength than an aluminum head... well you get the idea.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ivan, that makes absolutely no sense to me. Things swell when they get hot, not cold... but go ahead and make me look like like an idiot. It's not tough to do.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Right, the stud lengthens when it gets warm, so snug it when it is warm. When it gets cool, it will get even tighter. So you can't tighten it too much when warm, otherwise thermal contraction will break stuff.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

got it

now the header to the muffler right side needs welding again

I put 50 mi on the bike like this, problematic?
            82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
            No longer active member.

Comment

Working...
            X