Turned ingition key hit starter now nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned ingition key hit starter now nothing

Hello all. I have a electrical question. The last night I was leaving a friends house. I turned the ignition key on. Lights came on. Then I hit the starter and everything died. After checking as much of the electircal as I could with a flash light in his driveway I could not find anything wrong. Next thing I know power was restored. I was able to start the bike. On my way home the brake lights stoped working and so did my blinkers. I pull in to my driveway and blinkers work and brake lights also. I got home from work. Went to start the bike. Turned igition key to on. Lights came on per usual. Go to start the bike and then everything dies again. Checked voltage on the batt. Great at a little over 12v. Turn ignition key. Volts drop to nothing. Pulled the battery out of the bike. I am getting a short to ground on the main. but only when I turn the ignition key to on. I tried pulling the fuses. Still short to ground with the key in the on postion. Pull the main fuse no shorts. So where do I start to find this problem? I have checked the wiring in the headlight bucket and all seems fine. Could it be the igniton lock? If so how can I test it?

I hope I have provided enough info.

Thank You all in advance for your help.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

The ignition switch can go bad. You might try taking it apart and cleaning/re-connecting all the connections in there. I've never done it, but there are a few threads on here where people talked about the process.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

ground to frame

Try checking the ground to the frame next to the battery also check fuse holder connections and fuses for corrosion....Bruce
      Bruce Doucette
      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Ozz, are you sure it's a short to ground? If you're hooking up a meter to the main wire at the battery and pulling fuses to check for a short to ground it won't work that way. You'll always get a circuit when the ignition switch is on because current flows to the alternator/stator. That circuit is not fused except for the Main 30 amp fuse.

If the whole bike is dying when you turn on the ignition you should check the 30 amp Main fuse and connectors, the ignition switch and the connector to the ignition switch from the wiring harness in the headlight shell. If one or more of those are bad it would kill everything including the ignition, not just the blinkers and brake lights. I don't think you would have been able to ride it home.

Check the 20 amp Signal fuse and connections. The signals, horn, brake lights and a couple of other things share that fuse.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Sorry, disregard please.
          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-12-2009, 11:06 PM.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ozz,
            I started to ask this a while ago, then reread and retracted...
            But I'm gonna ask again anyway...

You say it checks 12 v. @ the battery, then you try to start, and it drops to nothing... is that also at the battery where you're checking?

You may have a dead cell or a broken plate in the battery... they're pretty small and fragile. Sometimes, they can break, and fall against a neighboring cell and short that one...

Might want to have it load tested... JAT

Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

All fuses are good. No corrosion on the fuses or on the front and back of the fuse panel.

The way I tested for short was removing the battery. Putting the positive on my meter to the lead on the red wire off the battery. Also removed the lead of the starter solenoid. Then I took the negitive lead from my meter and went to ground. When I turned the ignition key to on I get the short. Is that wrong? If so what the best way to check short to gorund on the bike?

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              If the whole bike is dying when you turn on the ignition you should check the 30 amp Main fuse and connectors, the ignition switch and the connector to the ignition switch from the wiring harness in the headlight shell. If one or more of those are bad it would kill everything including the ignition, not just the blinkers and brake lights. I don't think you would have been able to ride it home.

Check the 20 amp Signal fuse and connections. The signals, horn, brake lights and a couple of other things share that fuse.

Regards,

Scott

The 30 Amp Main fuse is good. All the conectors are good. What is the best way to check the ignition switch? When I turn the key which of the 4 pins are to have continuity?

Thanks,
              Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
              Pod Filters
              DynoJet Kit
              T.C.'s Fuse Block
              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                Ozz,
                I started to ask this a while ago, then reread and retracted...
                But I'm gonna ask again anyway...

You say it checks 12 v. @ the battery, then you try to start, and it drops to nothing... is that also at the battery where you're checking?

You may have a dead cell or a broken plate in the battery... they're pretty small and fragile. Sometimes, they can break, and fall against a neighboring cell and short that one...

Might want to have it load tested... JAT

Bob
                I have 12v at the battery. When I turn the igniton key to on the battery drops to aprox 1v. This is with out hitting the starter button. When I turn the ignition key to off I get the 12v at the battery again.

Does that seem like a broken plate or a dead cell? If so let me know and I will have it load tested.

Thanks,

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Ozz,

You may be getting a misleading reading... sometimes when you're checking circuits in a continuity test... if there are any bulb filaments, coil windings, etc. in that circuit... it can show continuity to ground. But, it doesn't mean there's a short.

With no blown fuses, it's hard for me to see that there's a short.

As I said previously, if the battery checks good, UNTIL a heavy load (ie: starter) is applied, then falls to -0- volts... it's usually a battery problem... if you're checking before & after at the battery.

Bad connections can act the same way, but shouldn't matter if you check @ the battery... and directly to the posts, not the cables.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
                    I have 12v at the battery. When I turn the igniton key to on the battery drops to aprox 1v. This is with out hitting the starter button. When I turn the ignition key to off I get the 12v at the battery again.

Does that seem like a broken plate or a dead cell? If so let me know and I will have it load tested.

Thanks,

Ozz
                    It really does to me, Ozz. I'd do a load test.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

It really does to me, Ozz. I'd do a load test.
                      So in theory if i take my battery charger, connect it to the battery turn the ignition key to on everything should power up? Just to see if my brake light will come on?

Thanks for the info.

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
                        So in theory if i take my battery charger, connect it to the battery turn the ignition key to on everything should power up? Just to see if my brake light will come on?

Thanks for the info.

Theoretically: yes.

If it blows the Main fuse or smoke starts coming out of [somewhere], turn it off.

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                          Theoretically: yes.

If it blows the Main fuse or smoke starts coming out of [somewhere], turn it off.

Regards,

Scott

As Scott says here... "THEORETICALLY". And I do agree... smoke...BAADDDD!!!

But. remember... if you happened to have a broken plate, weak cell, or a dead short in the battery itself, it may not.

Load testing would be the preferred method to absolutely know one way or another about the batteries condition. As expensive as the rascals are getting these days... I'd wanna know for sure.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

In addition, whether the battery is good or not, if you still have the original fuse box in there your just asking for trouble. Best bet is to replace that sucker as fast as you can, with either inline spade fuses or a spade type fuse box, you will NOT regret having done so as these boxes can look like there is nothing wrong and not be working, there is a reason the entire industry switched fuse types, and it wasn't because they were bored.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

And I do agree... smoke...BAADDDD!!!

Come on, Electricity is all smoke!! Anytime anything electrical ever quit working it is cause someone let the smoke out. Goes right to the generating stations, the smoke out the stacks is the extra smoke not needed in the pipes.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X